Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped bolt on Trans Flange

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 09:32 AM
Sajid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Stripped bolt on Trans Flange

I need to take the flange off of an old transmission that i have because the bolts on the flange that attach the CV boot to the tranny broke off (dont ask...) so anyway i had an extra broken trans that came with the car so i want to use those flanges and put them in the other tranny. I figured this would be alot easier than trying to tap 5 broken bolts since theres only 1 bolt to take out the flange. BUT that one bolt is rounded out. Any ideas on what the best way to get this thing out is? Im gona try to drill a hole in it an tap it but i dont know how successfull ill be. Those bolts are pretty solid and my mechanic said he tried and he broke 3 drill bits in the process. HELP!
Old 01-26-2002, 10:38 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did your mechanic use a quality drill bit like cobalt? This is one area that price really matters. Give that a try. Another idea is a carbide glass bit.

Finally, I wonder if you put a torch on it that you would kill any heat hardness temper. That would make the metal a bit easier to drill as well as loosen the grip the bolt has on the threads.

Quick Reply: Stripped bolt on Trans Flange