Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint "Oxidation" Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 03:01 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Paint "Oxidation" Problem

I have a red '86 with original paint. It has some oxidation on it (Min-Mod). I've heard someone talk about a clay bar? Don't know what that is or how to use it either. Tried Carnuba (did I spell that right). It work a little bit. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix my problem. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-11-2001, 11:08 AM
billybones
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carnuba is a wax.. won't help much. at first.. You need to basically tear off the upper coat of your paint... It is oxidized... You need a rubbing compound something with grit... the red brick is a rubbing compound used with a wheel..The problem with wheeling out your paint is that it is easy to burn it... If you have never done it. It can be done by hand by purchasing a good rubbing compound. and follow the directions.. and then after that it needs to be waxed at least 2 times... rubbing it in well... If you choose to wheel it your self using a machine... Just be carefull and slow... so as not to burn the paint...
Old 06-11-2001, 11:51 AM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try rubbing compound. Get the good stuff (3M regular duty - ~$10/bottle). It will take longer but will give better results than the heavy duty stuff. You can use an orbital buffer for the large areas, but be careful not to use too much pressure, and keep your pads clean. Do all crevices and hard edges by hand. Finish it off with a couple of applications of polish (you can use turtlewax colorback polish for even better color restoration). Then do a couple of coats of carnuba wax. My car was orange when I bought it, and after two days of compounding, polishing, and waxing, it was very very close to the original color. The people at the bodyshop where I am getting my car fixed right now thought I had a clearcoat and I had repainted the car recently, but it was just because I buffed the hell out of the paint. Here are a couple of pictures:

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: ribs ]

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: ribs ]
Old 06-11-2001, 12:01 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A clay bar is a chunk of special clay like material (I'm not sure what it is actually made out of, the binder is certainly different, plastic like, than normal clay you would see in art class) that you use with a spray on lubricant. Squirt on the lubricant and rub the area with the clay bar. Several wax companies like Mothers make it and you can find it in most places like Pep Boys.

Clay bars will take off more crud quicker and smoother than a real fine polishing compound. But with very good lighting you can tell where the clay bar has been. This indication usually is buffed out after a few washes and wax jobs. You probably won't notice this with your car.

If you don't have a lot of practice with power buffing don't evey try as you will be sure to burn through some sharp edge or tight spot.

Not sure how long a clay bar will last with severe oxidation. But get a tin of fine rubbing compound for auto paint and a clay bar and try them both out.

Quick Reply: Paint "Oxidation" Problem