Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Click When Reversing Direction

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 09:58 AM
lacoppari
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Click When Reversing Direction

A problem has developed on my '86 951. It started out with several clicks when starting off. I changed the half shafts because this is what I did perhaps 10 years ago to cure the clicking. While replacing the shafts, I noticed a bolt missing at the top of the transmission where it bolts to the hanger. I removed transmission and removed the sheared off bolt. The bolts were replaced with higher grade bolts thinking replacing the broken bolt would cure the problem.

Unfortunately one click still remains when I backup. The same click occurs when I then put it in 1st and first apply torque to go forward. I can feel the click in the seat of my pants. Once it clicks it does not click again no matter how many times I stop and restart. But if I reverse, it'll click again when torque is applied in either direction.

My transmission is limited slip. This is my track car that I have tracked since 1996 and it has over 100 DE's on it along with 190K miles. I drive it to the tracks so I don't want it to break at the track. Does anyone have any suggestions about what might be the cause of this malady.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:09 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a possibility that what you're hearing is the LSD releasing as it changes directions. My 944S2 with an LSD did something similar for a while. I tried hard braking while in reverse, and the noise seems to now be gone. Check for debris when doing a fluid change in the transaxle. Mine's been clear so far.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:08 PM
lacoppari
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I'll give the hard breaking in reverse a try and will check for debris in the lubricant.

Quick Reply: Transmission Click When Reversing Direction