Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TDC > WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002 | 04:31 AM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

Question TDC > WTF?

Okay, I searched the archieves on how to set the engine to TDC. I removed the cover over the belts and cam sproket and aligned the mark on the cam sproket up with the outer one.

I then checked the flywheel from the top, to see if the OT/TO was visible. Nope. It is supposed to look like this:

However, all I see is a line perpendicular to the line above the OT in the above picture.

Any ideas why? Would an aftermarket flywheel have the same markings?

Lastly...how the heck do I use my flywheel lock?

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2002 | 08:07 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

That's the way mine looks too, and it isn't aftermarket.

As to how to use the lock, no idea.

Thaddeus
Old 01-24-2002 | 08:13 AM
John 944S2
Intermediate

Just done this and my marks look the same on my S2.

To confirm all is OK you should also see a line on the flywheel in the window on the bottom of the clutch housing.

re: the flywheel lock. I didn't use one and followed the procedure below:

Disconnect battery
Remove starter motor
Jam a screwdriver into the flywheel teeth (not the starter ring teeth).

This will hold the crank in position. Its not the best method but works good enough.

Cheers

John
Old 01-24-2002 | 09:57 AM
Lamah
Instructor

I think the flywheel lock goes in the starter hole on the fly wheel ... same idea as the screw driver, except its a little metal block.

Also, you can check TDC by putting a dowel in the #1 cylinder and rotating the engine by hand until it stops going up, and before it starts going down.

If you see the mark, i would imagine its probably right.
Old 01-24-2002 | 09:59 AM
keith
Drifting

the teeth in the flywheel lock mesh and engage with the teeth on the ring gear/flywheel, obviously - you stick the ttothed portion in the starter hole (he he), teeth up, and bolt it in with the starter bolts. I usually just let my starter hang on its wires - doesn't seem to affect it. Be sure to unhook the battery first!
Old 01-24-2002 | 11:14 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

That should be fine. What happens to the cam timing when you try and get it to line up perfect? How far off is the cam?

BTW... Mine was always dead on the mark, so you might be a tooth off on the cam. However, 1 tooth might be too much, it is pretty close.

EDIT: I just re-read... you are NOT seeing the line and OT symbol like in the pic? That is not good then. You need to set it at TDC, set the cam at TDC, then bolt the cam tower on and attach the belt. Make sure the cam does not move during installation.

Do not turn it over with the starter until you know the OT line and the cam are all in check. If you do, you can add your valves to all of mine!
Old 01-24-2002 | 03:57 PM
Danno
Race Director

There's also a second mark at the bottom of the flywheel that lines up with a notch on the bellhousing. Since they are right next to each other, you don't get parallax errors like the sight hole. Easier to see too as you can reach up to the front to turn crank and check this mark easily.

Quick Reply: TDC > WTF?