Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for an update on the Ill Fated Rebuild #4

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002 | 11:15 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Post Time for an update on the Ill Fated Rebuild #4

I haven't posted much about my fun.. so a rather quick update for the masses. For a time refrence, it has been 2 months 6 days since the fire.

I have removed everything from the engine bay except for the brake lines and brake booster. Almost all of the parts and peices have been cleaned and are ready to be put back into service, and the bay itself is about 50% clean. I have repaired some of the wiring, but am waiting on a few last things from Granny.

The motor is on Garrity's bench right now, and I would expect to have it back sometime in the next 2 weeks. I have all my parts cleaned and powder coated (except for the cam tower... still can't get the pully off!)Once the block arrives, I will put it all back together, and then cover it in plastic while I continue to work on the car itself.

I have all the lights (headlight assemblies too) off it, along with all the plastic shielding and under trays. Little by little, the prep work progresses for the warm weather and a fresh coat of Guards Red. Lots of molding on 944's. It takes a good amount of time to prep one for paint. Do it once, do it right I always say... well try to at least!

As for now, most of the work is being done in the basement... cleaning, polishing, making sure I have everything. Until this week, it has been pretty cold at night to head out in the garage and work on it.

I want to rebuild my calipers, but I understad that there is no kit for the turbo brakes?? WTF! That just won't do. I will rebuild the brake master cylinder, and hopefully the clutch master and slaves as well. Anyone know if there are kits for all this?

Front wheel bearings, new strut bearings, some of the other suspension bushings I did not do before, and the Rear Koni's will about do it.. unless I come across some 968 M030 sway bars.

So that is it. I am in the hurry up and wait mode at the moment.

OHH... almost forgot. I spent some time last night finishing up the climate control LED setup. It turned out very well. The buttons are quite bright. The dual button (defrost and recirc)needed some modification to work. Since there are 4 bulbs in that setup, it was hard to get the resistors and LED's in the right position to operate the buttons themselves. The displays around the ***** look perfect. Overall.. I like it much better, and can't wait to see it in the car with the rest of the dash done up. A little black touch up paint on the worn areas of the buttons (defrost button has chipped off a little, and some light shines thru it where it shoulden't)

So.. thanks for the intrest. It sure is fun.. most of the time.
Old 01-24-2002 | 01:03 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Why not get the 968 M030 sway bars from Paragon? I checked them out yesterday and the prices are decent, I think I'll be ordering them pretty soon for my '92 coupe. -Trevor
Old 01-24-2002 | 10:15 AM
keith
Drifting

Pics, Perry, Pics!

(borow a camera, or draw a picture, or something!)
Old 01-24-2002 | 11:10 AM
Schneider
Advanced

Good progress. Remember, you eat an elaphant one bite at a time. Keep pluggin'

Try www.prospeedmotorsport.com for your brake stuff. They appear to do some very good work for a resonable price. They will rebuild and powdercoat yours or take yours in on trade. Check them out.
Old 01-24-2002 | 03:06 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Excellent. They have all the seals and such that I need.

I will powder coat them myself... so everything should be sweet!!
Old 01-24-2002 | 04:28 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Perry951,
I know for a clutch slave cyl rebuild, if you have a Parts America near you, go there. There rebuild kit is made by the company F.A.G. and says made in Germany on the box. F.A.G. built the master & slave cyl for Porsche. I bought the slave cyl rebuild kit and was surprised & happy at what I found. Everything is there from the OEM supplier. Cost was $20. It's pictured on there website too. I figured you can use some cheap new parts by now. Best of luck.

Tom
'87 951
'86 Supra

Quick Reply: Time for an update on the Ill Fated Rebuild #4