Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spraymax 2k for small paint repairs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 06:00 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Spraymax 2k for small paint repairs?

Has anyone tried this stuff?

For those who haven't heard of it, it is an aerosol two part spray paint. From what I understand it is a base/clear option for small repairs without requiring a compressor and spray gun.

I'm considering getting a couple cans of my paint color mixed up and get a couple cans of clear as well. One would be to fix the small paint repairs the car needs right now, and the other to have on hand for any future mishaps or rock damage.

From the youtube videos it seems like you can cover a decent amount with one can, but it only has a 12 hour working window once mixed, so everything has to be prepped and ready before mixing. If it doesn't all get used it is just wasted paint.

Here's a video of a guy repairing a bumper (it's in german but shows the product and process well):

At $20 a can it's a bit pricey so the prep time/cost of cans vs. prep time/taking it to get sprayed would have to be weighed out on a per-repair basis. I think for $40-80 for a base/clear to repair a bumper or cover wheels that you did the prep work yourself on isn't too bad of a deal.

Twice the cost of plasti-dip though
Old 09-05-2013, 07:23 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

never tried it but looks difficult to me.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:21 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Is it available in this country? Can you also get cross reference to Ford, GM and Mopar?
Old 09-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Aero426
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bonus12
never tried it but looks difficult to me.
What they are doing is EXACTLY what a body shop would do on a bumper repair. All that is different is that they are using the aerosol cans instead of a traditional spray gun.

1. Degrease (wax and grease remover was in an aerosol)
2. Sand and fill the blemish as needed. Sand the filler.
3. Prime
4. Wet sand the primer
5. Apply base coat
6. Apply clear coat
Old 09-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Aero426
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese
Has anyone tried this stuff?

...but it only has a 12 hour working window once mixed, so everything has to be prepped and ready before mixing. If it doesn't all get used it is just wasted paint.
You have the same issue when mixing paint to go into a spray gun. What you don't use is wasted. It all has a pot life.

At $20 a can it's a bit pricey so the prep time/cost of cans vs. prep time/taking it to get sprayed would have to be weighed out on a per-repair basis. I think for $40-80 for a base/clear to repair a bumper or cover wheels that you did the prep work yourself on isn't too bad of a deal.
You will spend way more than that on traditional paint. You need at least a pint of paint. Then reducer. Then activator.

I think it would work well on small projects. It is still geared for production body shops and keeping material costs low. It must have a flex additive geared for bumper repairs.

The spray pattern the gun makes looks good. It appeared that they can make any color in the Standox color book.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:40 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Originally Posted by Aero426
It must have a flex additive geared for bumper repairs.
Ya in one of the youtube vids a guy sprays a flag with the clear coat to see how it reacts and it stayed pretty flexible. He makes a comment that it isn't the case with some other types of paint.

I'm not saying this is a great option for everybody but I feel if it's coming down to using regular rattle can paint vs. taking it in, this is a great and affordable middle ground option.

As with any painting project the final result comes down to the prep work.

I'll order a couple cans tomorrow and post the results but it may be a couple weeks until I get the prep done.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:15 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Where are you ordering it from? Do they reference specific Porsche paint codes?
Old 09-06-2013, 06:39 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

I was going to order it from this site:

http://www.66autocolor.com/SprayMax_.../spm-mix2k.htm

They offer the hand grip that clips on for $5, as well, that I will probably get. Along with a can of clear.

They say they can closely match most paints provided the code.

At the end of this video they show how body shops fill the empty cans with the paint. It appears that any color can be achieved as long as it's mixed right. You can provide a paint sample for them to match as well:

When I call to order tomorrow I will get more info on what they need to match the paint color.

My 944 is a bit of an odd color so I need it very close or it will look even weirder than it already does.

Quick Reply: Spraymax 2k for small paint repairs?