Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help badly

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2001, 10:27 PM
Paul Kroenke
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Need help badly

I am replacing the torque tube. Well I have the transmission up, the torque tube in and bolted, and the starter in place. When I cranked it, just to see if the tube was in properly, it makes a weird buzzing noise, pretty loud. I pulled the starter thinking it might be that, but when it was cranked, it spun fine. Whats going on? I think that somehow the engine is not spinning, but I dont understand how. You start the car with the clutch in, seperating the clutch from the flywheel, therefore isolating the area I was working on, the whole rear end. The only thing I can think of is maybe the driveshaft is pressed against the pilot bearing very tightly, not allowing the engine to move. Is something very wrong or no? Please help!
Old 07-04-2001, 12:10 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(1) Can you turn the engine over by hand with a wrench? If so,

(2) Was the noise like a grinding sound at all? If so,

(3) It may be the starter wasn't lined up properly and the starter motor wasn't engaging the gears on the flywheel. Try lubricating the assembly on the starter for the little gear that pops out when you engage the motor (believe it's called the Bendix?), make sure it moves freely, then reinstall being very sure to line up everything properly.

My best guess, hope it helps.

Thaddeus
Old 07-05-2001, 10:10 AM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
If you bolted up the connector for the drive shaft in the transmission "bell housing" area, I think it would be impossible for the shaft to press too far forward in the pilot bearing of the crankshaft (the bolts on the connector fit in corresponding grooves in the drive shaft and transmission input shaft). More likely it's something related to the starter and ring gear.
Old 07-05-2001, 04:54 PM
aka 951
Pro

Same thing happened to me - battery had enough juice to engage starter, just not turn the motor over.

Erick
Old 07-06-2001, 03:33 AM
Racer X
Intermediate

Wink

maybe i off que but i had a 70 mustang and 1 day the teeth on the fly wheel went bad or whatever but when i crank the car the starter pinion gear or what ever that little sprocket that engage the flywheel got stuck on the groove or broken teeth on the flywheel and wouldnot let the pinon or sprocket on the starter disengage so it to made a loud buzzin sound because it would not pop back in place went thru 2 new starters in 1 day before i seen the teeth on the fly wheels was messed up????? hope that not your case maybe it was just your alinment with the starters.???

Domonique 86 951

Quick Reply: Need help badly