Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A-Pillar mounted gauges

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 07:45 PM
Renntag
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A-Pillar mounted gauges

Does anyone know where to find A-pillar gauges mounts. I had seen them once before, and would like some for my 951. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2001, 08:47 AM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was a couple of previous efforts (last one headed by Ribs, I think) to have some A pillars with gauge pods made specifically for the 944 series, but the faded away for some reason. The minumum order ahd to be 20, I think and there were ~ 17 or so takers (I was getting 2 just to see it happen!)

I for one would love to give this one a shot again... Ribs? Anyone?
Old 08-02-2001, 09:18 AM
pikey7
Drifting

just hunting round for something else, but I came across this.......
http://members.rennlist.com/jmitro/technicaltips.htm
Old 08-02-2001, 09:53 AM
Adam Richman
Pro

Again, I am in for one.
Old 08-02-2001, 10:47 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts
Thumbs up

A fellow 928S4 owner added a supercharger kit to his car. He was able to locate pods for boost gauges and other stuff from Ford - seems as though they mount these on the A pillar arms. Looked good to me....now if I can only raise $5K for the Supercharger kit!!!
Old 08-02-2001, 10:57 AM
David J. Harrington
Racer

Have you thought about posting gauges down here?(see below) You can fit 3 gauges in there.

Dave
Old 08-02-2001, 11:12 AM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

We can try to get this going again, but the people that sold them never returned any of my phonecalls or emails when we got close to the number that would be necessary. I will try to dig that web site up and call and email them again, but if in the mean time we want to try to organize a movement, everyone interested email me. That address is: richietommy@hotmail.com . I know I still really want one.
Old 08-02-2001, 11:32 AM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am currently looking for a way to mount my air/fuel gauge on the bottom of the oval surround between the speedo and the gas gauges. It will fit there nicely and not obstruct the view of the gauges or warning lights. Looks like the Autometer mounting cup referenced in the website posted by “pikey7” might do the trick, but I might have to cut the back of the cup off if it is to long. (the meter is not that deep and I will no use the light bulb)

I thought about the area below the radio, but that is where I keep CD’s, the cell phone, and misc. other stuff. The pillar is to bold a statement for me, I like to keep things understated, but I would consider going that route if I could mount another gauge there as well – such as an oil temperature gauge. I know that two pillar pods is not exactly understated, but what can I say…
Old 08-02-2001, 11:36 AM
fletch.
Instructor

I am in for 2 pillar pods if they are made.
Old 08-02-2001, 02:23 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

David, unlike Mike, I don't care about a statement (the blue racer's tape across the rear glass to seal it from wind noise probably takes care of that). On track, do you think that is a bit of a stretch on a quick glance? I am thinking that to look at eye level would be more preferable. I assume that's your car so what are your thoughts?
Old 08-02-2001, 05:01 PM
Renntag
Pro

Thumbs up

Ribs: "...we want to try to organize a movement, everyone interested email me. That address is: richietommy@hotmail.com . I know I still really want one. "

That sounds great to me. I'm good for 2 dual pods.

mounting on the a-pillar is at eye level and also doesn't take up valuable space on my dash/console. Plus it looks cool.
Old 08-02-2001, 06:28 PM
David J. Harrington
Racer

Adam, I have only had my car on the track five times so far. I haven't once had a problem with these gauge's locations. I don't sit there and stare at the AFM, just check it every once-in-a-while to make sure I never go lean while pushing hard. It helps that the LEDs are colors, so I can just usually see green(=rich) in the corner of my eye. As for the boost gauge, I mainly use that when tuning the car, and only look at it a few times a day while on the track. Of course, these two gauges are more of a tuning/troubleshooting set. I wouldn't want my tach down there

I have gotten so accurate at glancing at the gauge, that it takes only a fraction of a second to check either one.

If anyone would like a faceplate like this, let me know.

Dave
Old 08-06-2001, 09:43 AM
keith
Drifting

Ribs - there is talk about this on the 944 turbo list as well - can we get an order going again? Sounds like a lot of interest this time...
Old 08-06-2001, 02:21 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

I've sent two emails and left a phone message with the people at gaugepods.com since last thursday and have yet to hear back from them. If somebody else wants to give it a try, by all means please do. I know the people on the celica all-trac list got an order together. This is what it ended up being:

$40 for a two pod pillar and $45 for a 3 pod pillar, and it replaces the entire trim piece from the base of the windsheild to the ceiling of the car...it does not just sit over it. There is a minimum of 20 needed for an order, and somebody has to send out their pillar cover for them to make a mold out of it.

I will try one more email and another phone message...but I have a feeling that they have something against greek people. Oh well. If anyone else wants to try spamming with me, shoot off an email to Special_Projects@gaugepods.com and try to wake them up, or call them at (919) 479-0749.

I for one wouldn't want any gauge I was going to need to look at mounted anywhere else because I don't like taking my eyes off the road.
Old 08-06-2001, 03:48 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

MONEY!

I got a reply from the lo-tek (guagepods) people. Here is what they said:

"The first step s to get us an OEM pillar for evaluation. Then, if it looks like we can form the pillar on our machines, we will build a mockup pillar from the OEM pillar for you to test-fit for proper angle and position of the pods. After the mockup is aproved, you send it back along with 20
prepaid orders. We will then fabricate the mold and manufacture the pillar.

Regards,

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Lyle Simons
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"

So lets set it up...and who wants to be the guinea pig and lend their a-pillar cover?

Quick Reply: A-Pillar mounted gauges