Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lit'l OT: Who knows about MOLY oil/grease?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2002 | 10:52 AM
*WiZaRD- 951
Banned

Post Lit'l OT: Who knows about MOLY oil/grease?

Just curious as to how many people REALLY know what MOLY is? My grandad made his life starting his own business selling grease, oil, his own patented degreaser, and other things of that nature. He has so many great stories about people and MOLY oil/grease, and knows so much about it of course. Who here actually knows about it, and what makes it so special? I don't know many people period who do - I just thought I MIGHT find some on here that did since the Germans used it as their grease on the CV joints and recognized it's superiority!
Old 02-14-2002 | 11:05 AM
eugene
Racer

Moly is used to refer to " Molybdenum Disulphide "
( MOS2) It is a solid,extreme pressure lubricant/friction reducer used as an additive to oils and grease.
Many of the grease gets its dark black/greenish color from it.(e.g engine assembly lube/CV joint
grease etc...)

BTW, 88 944 Turbo S/89 951 has Molybdenum Disulphide embedded in the ring/pinion gear.
Old 02-14-2002 | 11:08 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

molybdenum disulfide: MoS2, a toxic black crystalline powder, insoluble in water; melts at 1185ºC; used as a lubricant and catalyst. Works under HIGH pressure where most other lubricants would break down (and, yes, it does have a low coefficient of friction, too). 0.3 micron diameter particle moly (I believe, one of the highest grades of moly) has a working pressure of 500,000+ PSI at -100 to +1000
degerees F.
Old 02-14-2002 | 11:21 AM
*WiZaRD- 951
Banned

wow! That's great you guys! My grandad also explained to me once how to the eye and finger a surface may seem very smooth, yet under a microscope is rough! MOLY embeds into the creves's, and under a microscope the same surface w/ MOLY will be smoother. yeah, it does have a greenish tint sometimes, when I move it around in the buckets, the outter edges have green tint. It's also very black. He told me one time of one'a his customers who stopped at a gas station out west, and was giong to put a quart of oil in and the guy working up there told her not to go putting that burnt oil in her car! She told him it was her husband's and it was supposed to be like that, and it was called MOLY something, he said he'd heard about it but never seen it before... haha.
P.S. - If you wanna buy any, my g.d. is 80 years old and still travells and sells some, hehe.
Old 02-14-2002 | 11:46 AM
Renntag
Pro

ie: Moly: Sounds correct. studied it in chemistry in college.

Its amazing how rough the surface of glass really is. But if you think about it...from space, the earth looks smooth and round...but when magnified many times you see ( looking from space ) that the surface is very irregular, as well as not being quite round.

Quick Reply: Lit'l OT: Who knows about MOLY oil/grease?