Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: A silent respect to all who died in today...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2001, 10:54 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by giuffrec:
<STRONG>Tabor,
What happen in your life for you to have a lack of respect and appreciation of today's events. How cold you have come accross. No matter if you thought it was 1,000 or 50,000 dead most in this country would find your opinion quite inhumane as do I. Instead of back peddling maybe you need to re-evaluate your own reaction.
Sorry for Your Lack</STRONG>
This is exactly what I don't understand. Why does it matter how people die? Why does it matter that they were killed by terrorists or if they were killed in an accidents (auto, or otherwise)?

Now, I understand the strategic importance of retaliation (so that it doesn't happen again). But human life is human life. I am not trying to debate it's improtance. All of the media coverage I see for this one event gives me the preception that people cared more about these lives then the other ones that are uselessly lost to disease, accident, etc.
Old 09-11-2001, 10:56 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by kevin Dubois:
<STRONG>i would like to say anyone who wants to get back at the terrorists "and the people who harbor them" are a bunch of hipocrits. the media is playing with all your minds by saying the terrorists did this because we are a sign of freedom. what a load of bull****. they did that because we did something to them, to make them feel vengeful. We (the US) has killed hundreds of innocent people in the mid-east, and all around the world. We think nothing of it, until they get angry and attack back. Then we say "were going to get you, you cowards!" when in fact we are all cowards. we have to forgive the people who did this, no matter how hard that may be, it has to stop here. stop the violence, because as we all know now, revenge is sweet until it it happens to you.

tonight, i will be praying to god, for the people involved, the dead, the rescue workers, and for the innocent victims we have killed elsewere.

Last, by starting a war with these people, you can all expect this tragity to dwarf what would happened if we killed a spiritual leader of a bunch of madmen.</STRONG>
There are 2 points of view.

1. Unless you retaliate you are a sitting duck, and they will do it again.

2. If you retaliate, they will do it again.

I do not know which is correct.
Old 09-11-2001, 10:59 PM
marooned
Advanced

Amen to your post Kevin. I'm canadian and am glad to be canadian today. I think what happened is absolutely sickening but you have to ask yourself why this sort of thing doesn't happen in Canada. We (the US) has killed hundreds of innocent people in the mid-east, and all around the world. We think nothing of it, until they get angry and attack back. Vietnam, Gulf war comes to mind.. I'm not trying to cause **** here but you have to ask yourself why sometimes. In defense of Tabor, I don't think he means to come across as callous. The media has a sick way of saturating things. Look at catastrophies that have happened in India for example. Thousands wiped out in an earthquake... Is their coverage like this? My 2 cents...
Old 09-11-2001, 11:25 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

MAKE NO MISTAKE - it was an attack on freedom. Please tell me why it is NOT??? Please tell me the last time we flew an Afganie Airliner into one of THEIR skyscrappers.
lets see last time we sent over some cruise missiles there was one that went astray and killed a bunch of innocent people. this was the last time we went after Bin Ladin. gulf war? we Annihilated bagdad. i'm sure a few people were killed there. to them, this is the United Airliner smashing into the WTC. you are so blind to the world it is Ridiculous. We are not the only victims in the world, and if you can't understand this, i feel sorry for you.

There are 2 points of view.
1. Unless you retaliate you are a sitting duck, and they will do it again.
2. If you retaliate, they will do it again.
I do not know which is correct.
this may be true, but in which situation do less people die? also, if we don't get them back, they aren't going to feel a need to do it again. and others trying it? who would stop them in any situation?
Old 09-11-2001, 11:26 PM
David G
Advanced

Originally posted by Tabor Kelly:
<STRONG>What's the big deal? How does today sugnifigantly alter the future?</STRONG>
It's spelled "significantly".

significant;
1) Having or expressing a meaning; meaningful.
2) Having or likely to have a major effect; important: a significant change in the tax laws.
3) Fairly large in amount or quantity: significant casualties; no significant opposition.

I can also spell uninformed, pathetic, and apathetic. Tabor, you do have a dictionary, don't you?

God Bless the USA
Old 09-11-2001, 11:28 PM
SonyGuy
Intermediate

Who says defense and retaliation is not right? That it's injust...? The only reason we haven't had full scale attacks launched on our country is because everyone knows we will stand up to anyone who threatens our freedom and our lives. Terrorists do not sweep through our streets because they know that almost every friggin home owner in this country owns a gun! And some people who live here want our guns taken from us??! Shame on you people. You must not get the big picture.
The whole world will feel the shockwave from this. Here is an EXAMPLE that is happening right now: The Japanese stock market has just fallen 6%, it hasen't been that low in 15 years as analysts are reporting. Not to mention all of the effects it is having on our country. Where did all of those thousands of people who lived in the city only hours ago go? Tabor, you mentioned that some people don't even drive, they ride to work. How did they evacuate the city then?? They had to run for their lives! Literally! Where are they now? Who knows...

What about the World Trade Center? Gone. But let's talk about effects here... What's the building made out of? Asbestose!(sp) Those people were covered in ash and asbestose-Which causes cancer. All of those people might have cancer a few years down the road from now and die.

Peter Jennings was crying on the air! Who has ever seen him cry?? He was reporting about all of the people standing on top of the roof. Screaming, waving their arms trying to get off of the roof. He was asking how rescuers would get them down. Minutes later all of that came crashing down with the people still up there. Very very sad....
Old 09-11-2001, 11:34 PM
SonyGuy
Intermediate

I also wanted to add that right now, at this very moment as you are reading these words, there are people trapped underneath all of that wreckage, with no hope of ever getting out. What is going through their mind right now? try and place yourself in their position? I can't do it... They even had a cell phone trace from someone calling 911 from the Mariott Hotel that is burning up. People will not be found for weeks, if not months who are still under there alive right now. Many survivors of the building crash say that people we helping out the weak and getting them out to safety. Sadly, many of those people did not make it out with their own lives. Just goes to show how many good willed citizens there are. Even people in foreign countries like Great Britain are offering their condolences and looking on with grief for the American tourists who are visiting their country because they fell their loss. I'm sorry, I just had to get that out.
Old 09-11-2001, 11:43 PM
Tabor
Drifting

So I was watching CNN, feeling quite sorry for the people involved (as I always have), when they read some quotes from a statement that our president issued. Basically saying, "this will not change america".
Old 09-11-2001, 11:44 PM
SonyGuy
Intermediate

Tabor,
Car crashes are accidents. Disease is ill fate. But attacks are deliberate! Attack has motives behind it. Who is it so hard for you to grasp this concept? Read our Constitution. God knowing if we do not stand up for ourselves and what we believe in, "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness" will all be a thing of the past as some guy who you can't even pronounce his name is crushing our country.

Tim C.
Old 09-11-2001, 11:45 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
lets see last time we sent over some cruise missiles there was one that went astray and killed a bunch of innocent people. this was the last time we went after Bin Ladin. gulf war? we Annihilated bagdad. i'm sure a few people were killed there. to them, this is the United Airliner smashing into the WTC. you are so blind to the world it is Ridiculous. We are not the only victims in the world, and if you can't understand this, i feel sorry for you.
Ok, I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you, because I know your type. Nothing America does is going to be right, and we deserve all crap that is given to us, right?

But I can't resist...

lets see last time we sent over some cruise missiles there was one that went astray and killed a bunch of innocent people.
The last time we sent over cruise missles that "went astray..." hmm... why did we sendt the freakin' things over in the first place?

gulf war? we Annihilated bagdad. i'm sure a few people were killed there.
Hell yeah we walked all over Bagdad! They walked all over Kuwait you fool! Saddam's army was RUTHLESS in Kuwait then throws up arms after someone starts to retaliate?? Um, no. That's like the kid in school who picks on you and picks on you then when you deck him he crys.

you are so blind to the world it is Ridiculous. We are not the only victims in the world, and if you can't understand this, i feel sorry for you.
I'm blind? Ok, that's your opinion. Not from what I've read though. Yes we are not the "only victims" in the world, but WE ARE the victim in THIS CASE you fool. Sorry about the name calling but this is RIDICULOUS? Do you even live in this Nation? If you don't, keep your big mouth shut. You have no right. If you do I am disgraced. You need to get down on your knees and thank God there are people who will "send cruise missles astray" in defense of your right to voice your opinions, as ignorant as they may be.

-Matt
Old 09-11-2001, 11:50 PM
SonyGuy
Intermediate

Tabor,
America's moral and sense of urgencey in addressing this situation will not be changed. Businesses are reopening tomorrow. Will they be changed? Indefinately. There are insurance companies and other large corporations that were in the WTC that no longer exist. One peticular stock company took up 50 floors of one of those buildings and is now completely gone. How do you deal with that? Someones car was totally destroyed by this, but the insurance company covering it was also lost in the building. How do you sort through that? So much change... but one thing stays the same and that is the idea shared my many that whoever perpetrated this will not be tolerated and is going down for good.
Old 09-11-2001, 11:51 PM
Jon Hanson
Instructor

Here, here, Matt.
Old 09-11-2001, 11:53 PM
sb944
Advanced

Coming from Australia I feel a long way from trouble. However it scares me to think that there are people anywhere in the world that would kill so many innocent people so easily. These guys are worse than Hitler in my opinion. If it was Australia or friends of mine were killed I would want revenge to be carried out in the ugliest way to these people. And the people in Israel(?) celebrating it deserve to be shot also. Maybe then it wouldn't be so much of a celebration.

I trully hope this gets resolved the best way possible. Good luck to anyone with missing friends or family.

Sam.
Old 09-11-2001, 11:57 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by SonyGuy:
<STRONG>Tabor,
Car crashes are accidents. Disease is ill fate. But attacks are deliberate! Attack has motives behind it. Who is it so hard for you to grasp this concept? Read our Constitution. God knowing if we do not stand up for ourselves and what we believe in, "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness" will all be a thing of the past as some guy who you can't even pronounce his name is crushing our country.

Tim C.</STRONG>
I don't disagree. But if my girl friend was killed in a car crash, or in a terrorist attack, I would still be without her. My loss would be the same. I may be more angry, but IMHO it is a distinction that no longer matters. The loss is the same.
Old 09-11-2001, 11:58 PM
SonyGuy
Intermediate

Matt,
I agree. But let us not forget all of those men and women who have had to leave family members, children, etc. and get into uniform, wait for further notice. These men and women are all waiting for instruction. They would give their life for this country and for our safety. I hold a lot of respect for these people and so should all of you.

Tim

Quick Reply: OT: A silent respect to all who died in today...