Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 11:06 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm pretty sure the Tach bounce is received from the DME.

I'm thinking your electrically fine -- I also think that you will not get spark if
the DME is flakey.

In fact on our race car -- we bumped the DME relay and we could watch
the strobe go intermittent monitoring the spark --- (in this case it would start and die).

A buddy of mine has an S2 (I think it was the S2 not the 968) and he had this same issue.
Turned out to be his DME. He had had it jumped at some point and subsequently it
got harder and harder to start and stranded him many times.

IAN of 944 online??? fixes DMEs and swears this is the #1 death cause.

I realize this can be an expensive "r&r test"
If you can get a spare DME -- see if that resolves your problem before going
to the expense of rebuilding the DME.

Heat did seem to make it worse BTW -- my guess is either weak solder joints -- stressed voltage regulators -- or zapped fuel injector drivers.

M
Old 08-25-2013, 01:20 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Much appreciate all the reply's! got up this morning and after the Formula 1 race I went back to where the car was parked..Confirmed the car still would not start and then removed the relay. I confirmed the relay was getting power and pulled the cover off to find what looks like a crack in the solder.

I only had a couple tools so I scrapped the solder area and re installed...I forgot my booster pack and the battery was well below 10V from all my attempts to start it yesterday...Re installed the relay and she fired up!

I am guessing this was the fault and drive the car home, re soldered the cracked areas and confirmed the car still runs. I will order a new relay and keep this one as a spare.

I will post up here if something else pops up but I am confident this was my issue.

Here are a couple pictures of what I found.

Quick Reply: Intermittent crank no start