Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Erratic tickover & the cars no better!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2001, 07:16 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Red face Erratic tickover & the cars no better!

My 86 944lux has had this problem for some time now and its got so bad that my wife won't drive the car, (so I know it must be bad.)
As soon as the car reaches normal operating temperature it won't tick over and cuts out on de-accelaration and stopping. (Coming up to roundabouts with no power brakes and steering is quite interesting!)
When cold the car performs faultlessly and starts on the button any weather except occasionaly a little reluctant when hot.A few times it has refused to restart at all until left to cool down for 5-10 minutes then starts as normal.
The engine hunts when normal temp is reached and I have to hold at 1200 rpm when stationary. Smells appalling so must be running rich I guess. The car simply won't drive at all if below 2300 rpm so I have to change down all the time as it bucks around like a bronco.
Soooo my question is guys, what is the likely cause and how do I go about testing and repairing before I go straight across a roundabout at 80 whilst trying to restart! [/LIST]
Old 11-08-2001, 07:54 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First guess would be the TPS (throttle position sensor)... check this link:

944 TPS procedure

Let us know how that checks out.

Good Luck!
Old 11-08-2001, 08:19 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peanut; You may have two different problems here.The idle air control , which sits under the intake manifold may be sticking or bad. This is the control which regulates the air when you first start ,much like the old fashioned choke. The correct rpm when first started when cold should be about 1200-1250 rpm,and when warmed up about 850 rpm.The drop in rpm could take up to 1 min to happen depending on the temp.After the engine is warmed up that sequence will happen in a few seconds.Sometimes you can take them off and just clean them , but it is not a quick job as you should remove the intake man to get them out.
The second problem may lie in the the (tps ) Throttle position sensor and is quite commonly the reason for the car to stall when decelerating.Essentially ,The brain does not know where the throttle is. This may be a loose wire, an adjustment, or just a bad switch.Go under the hood and just crack the throttle cable and listen for a click.If you here it ,chances are it is good. Check the archives as these should be adjusted electrically.

hth - good luck
Old 11-09-2001, 12:25 AM
Martin
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your fuel pressure regulator too, if it has died your pressure will be too high causing richness, this will be fine when cold but will flood the car when hot.
Martin http://members.rennlist.com/martintaylor/
Old 11-09-2001, 10:45 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Heh thanks guys this is a terrific response. I'll take a look at the beast this w/e and let you know how I get on.Thanks once again.
Nick

Quick Reply: Erratic tickover & the cars no better!