Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XPOST from 968 Forum - Ticking/Clicking from rear end/linkage

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 11:29 AM
phil0618
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XPOST from 968 Forum - Ticking/Clicking from rear end/linkage

More information,

I was able to ride around with my mechanic. It does not seem to be either engine speed related or wheel speed related.

We used a stop watch and got about 5 clicks per second at 10 MPH.

It does vary under load and the sound definitely seems to be transmitted through the shifter, in fact I think you can feel it through the shifter.

You can also alter the character of the sounds by moving the gear shift lever around even with the clutch depressed.

We did not yet have a chance to get the car up on a lift to really isolate the sound, but thought I'd throw this out there in case it rang a bell with someone.

We will definitely check the CV bolts.

Thanks,
Phil
--------------------

Hi,

Just had my transaxle rebuilt and reinstalled.

Now I'm hearing a ticking sound that seems to come through the shifter area, but I think that the noise is traveling through the linkage and could very well be behind me. I think the noise is there at all times, but most evident when decelerating and the motor idling. As you slow down the "ticking" or "clicking" also slows until it is ever so slow and then stops as the car stops. I think it just tends to get drowned out during acceleration.

Seems to happen with clutch in or out.

I seem to be able to vary the pitch of the sound slightly by moving the shift lever from side to side.

Note that prior to the transaxle rebuild, there was a very loud whine from a bad bearing that got your attention, so it's possible the ticking sound has been there for a while and I just didn't notice. Car is definitely quieter now overall.

It's also possible that the shift linkage might be slightly off. Car shifts fine, but the linkage was tweeked a bit getting the transaxle in and out.

It really is reminiscent of the cards in the spokes of a bicycle. Quieter, but like that sound in that it is not a constant hum or whine at low speeds, but a distinct tick or click type of sound. Again, it seems to come up through the shifter and moving the shifter seems to change the character of the sound.

It's not terrible, but it is definitely noticeable and in light of the fact that I just had work done on the transaxle I'd like to diagnose ASAP.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil

Last edited by phil0618; 08-21-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:26 PM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Check the tightness of the CV bolts. That's the problem I've been having since R&R of my trans.

Rich
Old 08-21-2013, 07:43 PM
phil0618
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Rich
Old 08-21-2013, 08:55 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, this really sounds like loose cv bolts.

Quick Reply: XPOST from 968 Forum - Ticking/Clicking from rear end/linkage