Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know what this wire is for???

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2001, 04:19 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Anyone know what this wire is for???

944 Turbo S...
Rear speaker well on driver side ONLY...
The factory speaker wire splits about mid-way up, and has two ends- I'm assuming they're live, but haven't checked...

Anyone out there know what option one of these cars would, or could, have had that would have used that type of wiring and somewhere in the vicinity of that location? I'd really like to know- I'm tearing into my stereo and replacing all speakers, and plan to tear out all factory wire- I don't want to tear out something that I may want to use later...

Thanks,
Old 11-08-2001, 04:33 AM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If it is on the drivers side only... I'm afraid to ask. I thought about the 10 speaker system offered, but that would be on both sides. If it is just speaker wire, yank it out of there.

If it is a bundle of wire, watch out! bad experience on a toyota.
Old 11-08-2001, 09:58 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

To be honest, I'm not really that worried about pulling it out- like I said, it's just the speaker wire that splits off. At first, I thought someone had sauntered it to the factory speaker wire, but it's wrapped w/the same insulation (or whatever you call it-?), and has obviously been there since the car was new. I just really want to know what it is.

I don't understand what could have been there, and I doubt much of an amp would fit back in there- even if one would, there's not really a way to mount it back in there, plus, Porsche didn't offer any amps. They had EQ's, but they were under the deck itself... It's really strange...
Old 11-08-2001, 04:08 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

Wink

Robby ; on some cars up to 86 , they had an outside keyed factory alarm switch on the front of the qrt panel, just behind the back edge of the drivers door and about handle height. Could this be the wire you are talking about. HTH
Old 11-09-2001, 01:28 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually, I think they did this a little longer than '86, but am not sure. It could have been for this, but mine doesn't have the extra key hole, or a factory alarm for that matter, so I'm not sure. That doesn't mean it's not for an alarm, as they used many of the same wiring for all different 944's regardless of the options the particular car came with... Anyone have one w/a factory alarm they could check?

Thanks,
Robby

Quick Reply: Anyone know what this wire is for???