Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving gloves anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 11:49 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Lightbulb Driving gloves anyone?

Fellas,

After I paid out the ying-yang for my new leather on my 4-spoke, I decided I would never again do that. Therefore I would have to keep this bad boy clean as a whistle. AKA - get some driving gloves. This wheel has yet to touch bare skin in almost 4 months (since brand new).

I originally ordered gloves from Tweeks, but they came, too small, and I didn't like them. Then I had a bright idea...

Growing up I would always play with my dad's flight gloves. So I ran on base and picked me up a pair. But to my surprise they not only make them in classic olive-green-cloth/grey-leather anymore, they make them all black (oh yeah).

To make a long story short, they make excellent driving gloves (why the heck wouldn't they? They are made to go Mach 1+). Although, they are quite long, go about halfway up to your elbow, but I modified them and they look sweet. I'll post some pictures if anyone is insterested. I'm going to talk to the base people about how much of a discount I could get if I ordered in bulk, then modify them and sell them off. Would you all be interested? Total would probably be around 25-30 bucks, plus shipping. And the cool part is you'd be using the same gloves that the fastest pilots in the world use to control their multi-million dollar jets. Plus, they look just darn sweet, and are comfortable as heck - I forget I'm wearing them.

-Matt
Old 11-06-2001, 12:14 AM
Untier
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how about golf or bicycle gloves?
Old 11-06-2001, 02:34 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Well I suppose you could also use latex gloves too, but would you want to?

Let me post some pics tomorrow and you will see why I am trying to spread the wealth...

Going to sleep, finally.

-Matt

PS
Besides, one golf glove is 12-18 dollars, and you'll need two. You're already over budget.
Old 11-06-2001, 08:01 AM
ste
Track Day

Talking

This is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

You guys have a great sense of irony, almost sounds like you're being serious.

I plan to buy a set of cycling shorts and modify them. I'll wear them whenever I'm in my car so as not to wear the leather seats.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2001, 11:49 AM
David J. Harrington
Racer

I actually wear pantyhose in my car for the same reason.

Dave
Old 11-06-2001, 12:04 PM
Hans
Burning Brakes

No, don't tell me...
The next reply will be about sterilising the complete interior.......

Matt has a point though.
Had to fix a previous (non P) car alongside the road once and could'nt clean my hands then.
It took ages till the "odor" of used oil got out of the leather from the wheel.
Since that time I have some rags in the back.
Still wrenching & driving without gloves though, appreciate the touch too much.
Old 11-06-2001, 12:11 PM
Devildog2067
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
I used to wear nomex flight gloves driving, but I've actually found that I prefer motorcycle gloves--many of them have padding in the palms and whatnot, and all have the stitching on the backside of the fingers.

--
Semper Fi
LCpl SH Won
Wpns Co, 2nd Bn, 24th Marines
Old 11-06-2001, 12:57 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I am interested in a nice pair of driving gloves. I would really like to see the pics.

I do not mind if they come in the long length. I could modify them myself and use the extra leather for another purpose - like lining my cup holder or stuffing in the areas on the seat where the stitching is coming loose.
Old 11-06-2001, 02:01 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I'm not sure if you all were poking fun at driving gloves, cause the sarcasm is so thick but you'd be surprised... A few people have made fun of me, but I don't do it for them. I took a look at the steering wheel of our 2000 Expodition we purchased brand new, has 8,000 miles on it, and the tan leather steering wheel shows noticable signs of dirt and oil in the crevaces of the leather.

Going to take some pics now...

EDIT:

Ok, first and foremost, the USA Limited Edition 1 of 1 Porsche Type 944.

And now some gloves...

They are a lot "cooler" then the pics make them out to be. And they are very comfortable. I wore them in the summer, and they stay cool, and now that it's cold they keep my hands warm. Great grip on the wheel too.
Old 11-06-2001, 02:20 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Question

Thanks for the pics.

I notice that they are not all leather. Is the material flame retardant?
Old 11-06-2001, 02:27 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

No they are not all leather. They stay cool that way, the back of them breath nicely while the front give you excellent grip. The nomex is not fire-retardant, but it is fire-resistant (let's hope that doesn't come in handy in your 944). I just talked to my dad and he confirmed what I said about how comfortable they are, in that long cross-country flights he had to do you basically forget you are wearing them. Again, they breath much better then all leather gloves. I just found out I can't purchase items on base and resell, but I can get them off base as well.
Old 11-06-2001, 04:52 PM
doyle
Racer

I do not drive my car as I am afraid of wearing anything. Not running the motor means that no wear is occurring, not moving means that the tires and brakes are not being worn, etc... If you never drive it like me, you won't have to worry about a worn steering wheel, a worn seat, or chaffed legs from wearing pantyhose without shaving.
Old 11-06-2001, 05:56 PM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Hey Matt,

What does your dad fly, assuming he is still in the AF. Where are you guys stationed now?
Old 11-06-2001, 09:16 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally posted by doyle:
<STRONG>I do not drive my car as I am afraid of wearing anything. Not running the motor means that no wear is occurring, not moving means that the tires and brakes are not being worn, etc... If you never drive it like me, you won't have to worry about a worn steering wheel, a worn seat, or chaffed legs from wearing pantyhose without shaving.</STRONG>
Geeze man come on. Let's be realistic, you really should drive your car. I mean, only pull it out of the driveway, and OF COURSE be sure to wax it when you pull it back in because it got dirty.

Really man.

Michael - he retired in '94. He flew F-4s (out of Ramstein AB back in the day) then A-10s (out of Myrtle Beach AFB and Sembach AB).
Old 11-07-2001, 06:32 AM
ste
Track Day

Originally posted by doyle:
<STRONG>I do not drive my car as I am afraid of wearing anything. Not running the motor means that no wear is occurring, not moving means that the tires and brakes are not being worn, etc... If you never drive it like me, you won't have to worry about a worn steering wheel, a worn seat, or chaffed legs from wearing pantyhose without shaving.</STRONG>
Heehee LOL. I hope you're storing it in a vacuum, oxygen can oxidise the paint you know...

Quick Reply: Driving gloves anyone?