Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC delete wiring cleanup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 02:49 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default AC delete wiring cleanup?

I just pulled the evaporator out of the interior of my '83. Now there is a ton of wiring left over but I'm not sure what I can pull out and what I can't.

Before I go diving into wiring diagrams, I figured I would ask, since I'm sure I'm not the first to do this.

There appears to be 2 main sets of wires that run through.
One connects to everything on the evaporator unit (lower hanging thick black wire in pic#1) and then has a couple wires that connect up to the black box on the left in pic#2.
This is the one that I would like to get rid of as it has a million plugs that won't be easy to hide but I'm unsure that it doesn't connect to anything else important.
Is there an easy way to remove this or am I stuck using 100 zip ties to get it hidden under the dash?

Also, will I need to plug the vacuum line that attached to the evaporator?

Old 08-14-2013, 01:27 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Turns out that whole bundle of wires I wanted to get rid of connected to the back of the center console and after unplugging it from there, the whole thing just pulled right out.

I should have investigated more yesterday but wiring is one of the things I'm still learning about. All my previous cars have been from the early 70s when there is like 10 wires that make the whole thing work.

Can anyone answer the vacuum line question though? I know how picky some motors are about vacuum leaks so would it be a safe bet just to cap it off?
Old 08-14-2013, 04:09 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Always cap it off. Any vac leak is bad.

Quick Reply: AC delete wiring cleanup?