Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 11:55 AM
use2windsurf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight adjustment

When I turn off my headlights, on light goes completely flush and the other stops about 1/2 inch from flush. I can fully lower it by turning the **** on the motor so that they both sit flush. How can you adjust this? I dont see any option but bending something. Thx
Old 08-13-2013, 02:09 PM
turbodave
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try cleaning the linkage for both headlights followed by lubricating the pivot points and bearings with a good quality Lithium grease. I use a small grease gun with a needle attachment to force as much grease as I can into the bearing and the race. Don't forget about the pivot points on the headlight carrier itself. The book calls for Lithium grease but I have used Silicone spray lubricant in the past with good results. Just don't get the stuff on anything you ever expect to paint in the future! Use WD40 on the springs, again careful with the paint. Barring any obstructions behind the headlight carriers (lost tools, spare change, cone filters, ect.) operating the headlights thru a few cycles should free everything up and allow it to go back its normal adjustment. If this doesn't work then there is a procedure in the 924 WSM for resetting the drive motor to its' original starting position where you can then make adjustments. Don't bend anything! It will only make matters worse. If it comes down to it and you have to reset the motor let me know and I will try to scan a copy of the procedure for you. GL. Dave
Old 08-13-2013, 02:11 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a 13mm bolt that connects the motor to the linkage

Unscrew that and pull the linkage to the full height position and then put it back on and torque the nut back down. You may need to loosen the 10mm bolts holding them down and adjust it back flush with the bodywork when done.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

AFTER you try lubricating everything, if one light is still up a little while the other one is down, use a 10mm socket on a long extension to loosen, and then move the headlight bar mount (it connects to the frame rail with 2 bolts) of the light that needs to close a little more.

If you adjust the light bucket's pivot point mounts, that will adjust the panel gap.

Also, are your rubber "eyebrow" pieces in place? These slide into the sides of the header panel and provide a resting point for the lights when they're down.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:04 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is also a plastic bushing on the headlight hinges that disintegrates - I made a new one for one car out of brass, fixed a pretty serious headlight alignment issue

Quick Reply: Headlight adjustment