Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944S2: valve/chain tensioner wears out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2001, 10:14 AM
Bryan Welch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 944S2: valve/chain tensioner wears out?

I just purchased a 1991 944 S2 with 136,000 miles on it and am learning how to maintain it properly, so please keep in mind I'm new to Porsche engines.

A porsche shop told me I should probably replace the chain (valve?) tensioner if it hasn't already been replaced, as if it fails considerable damage may result. I asked if this was the automatic tensioner of the timing belt, and was told this is not that but rather a tensioner that deals with the intake and exhaust valves.

Reading my notes, I'm a bit confused. Does this adjust the intake and exhaust valves automatically? Is this something that wears out and should be replaced after a while, like a water pump?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Bryan Welch
Old 06-06-2001, 11:46 AM
larrys944S2
7th Gear

the chain tensioner, makes the chain that runs between the inake and exhaust cam taunt
it has plastic runners on each side and if one breaks and falls off the cam chain can break and saw into the head which is no good by any means........i replaced mine last summer it wasent too bad you needd to remove the cams and timing belt but it would be a good time to check those lifters and do all that belt stuff...........have fun larry 89S2
Old 06-06-2001, 11:55 AM
Roy LaZelle
Racer

Lightbulb

There is a great procedure on the web with pictures and a description of the S2 Chain Tensioner. http://boerger.golden-tech.com/favorite.htm
After checking out the above link, I purchased the plastic tensioner foot from Zims for $25. I plan on putting the foot in and checking out the rest of the mechanism as soon as I get my daughter moved home from college. My mechanic said that he had never seen the chain connecting the cams break. Don't know about that though since most mechanicals are subject to wear.
Old 06-06-2001, 11:59 AM
MadMax
Pro

Exclamation

Brian,
Congratulations on your purchase. If maintained properly your Porsche will be everything you had hoped it would be. Now, the 944 S2 has belts and tensioners EVERYWHERE! Your mechanic is refering to the Cam Chain tensioner under your valve cover. It is an automatice chain tensioning device that maintains proper tension on the chain that synchronizes the DOHC's, not terribly expensive to replace but extremely expensive to repair the damage caused by failure. $3000-$5000 for a complete head rebuild + labor. Check out Tom Boerger's 944 S2 website. http://boerger.golden-tech.com/ He has a section under DIY (do it yourself repairs) that covers Cam Chain tensioner replacement. Also, if you don't have the maintenance records on your S2 then I would STRONGLY suggest having the Timing and Balance shaft belts & seals, rollers and tensioners replaced. That is also the best time to replace the water pump as all of the afore mentioned pieces have to be removed to replace the pump. I know this is a lot of stuff but if not maintained your S2 will become a source of displeasure and expense rather than a source of pride and enjoyment.

Regards, Max

1991 944S2 Cabriolet
Old 06-14-2001, 11:59 AM
John 944S2
Intermediate

Bryan,

My car has had a recent service by an Official Porsche Centre. They were indicating that the cam tensioner should be replaced around 65K but would only recommend doing it after checking. This area of the engine does not have the best of oil feeds hence the problem, but you can check if there is likely to be an issue by removing the cam cover. Check that all the sprocket teeth are there (I had heard horror stories with 968 engine were teeth have been completely missing). If all are present, and the chain is tight you should be OK for now although I believe they should be replaced after 100K miles. You should be able to do this is under an hour.

Just my thoughts.

john

Quick Reply: 944S2: valve/chain tensioner wears out?