Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Car Got "Keyed" - attn Paint Pros

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 02:42 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face My Car Got "Keyed" - attn Paint Pros

Folks,

Yesterday, someone intentionally “keyed” the rear hatch of my car below the rubber lip spoiler. Not even 2 months of on-the-road ownership and some imbecile decides to make me the target of his frustrations. A wonderful, more than foot long down-to-the-primer scratch now adorns the back of my nice, shiny, painted a couple years ago black 944 Turbo S. Looks to me like a case of "if I can't have a nice sports car; then I'll make the owner miserable so I can feel better." A wonderfully, warped thought process indeed.

Can someone help me with an outline of the repair steps? I have experience with spraying furniture (laquers, polyurethanes, catalyzed varnishes) and have all necessary spray equipment. However, I lack the knowledge to do a proper prep and post paint rubout. Faced with a $200 other-than-collision deductible and loss of a $150+/year credit for having no claims in the last 3 years to lose, it’s all coming out of my pocket. I’m guessing this is a $500 ish repair for a good auto body paint shop. I’m considering taking a shot at it myself. A couple naturally occuring seams at each corner mean I have a natural masking line and wouldn’t have to attempt a blend in that the pros can pull off.

Any website and how-to book referrals would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 06-06-2001, 02:12 AM
Cobbs
Instructor

Man that sucks. I hate it when people do that kind of sh-t. I wouldn't recomend painting it yourself unless you had a high quality spray gun, compressor, etc, etc, etc. I just dont think spray paint would coat that well on such a large area, Especially on such a beautiful car. Just my 2 cents.

Cobbs 84 944
Old 06-06-2001, 03:59 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, I think he could probably repaint it himself. Especially since it has only gone down to the primer. Fair that out, no metal gouges to deal with.

Will be fun getting the rear lenses separated from that butyl strip caulk. A friend, heat gun, two putty knives and a screw driver between them (putty knives) will help.

If he is careful, the worse that will happen is he has everything set up for the paint shop to sand down and repaint. I say read up on it and give it a go.
Old 06-06-2001, 01:58 PM
MadMax
Pro

Unhappy

Mike,
Unfortunately this is sometimes the price for other people's jealousy. If your car was painted only two years ago, then spend the money to have it repaired correctly. Consider it the price of ownership and be thankful that it wasn't worse. Three years ago I had a 1989 911 Silver Anniversary Edition (Black Satin Metallic Coupe w/ Linen Leather Interior), 1 of 60 of the 300 Anniversary Coupes. It was keyed BADLY outside of a night club. All down the right side of the car. The car had nearly flawless original paint. It only cost $800 to have it repaired. I turned it in to my insurance company. Yours probably won't cost $500 so I would either pay for it or turn it in to your insurance. Either way I would strongly recommend a professional repair.

Just my two cents.

Max
(formerly 1989 911 Carrera)
currently 1991 944 S2 Cab
Old 06-06-2001, 06:51 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Thumbs up

Max, Dan, and Cobbs,

Thanks for the advice and comments. Looks like God is taking care of me on this one aagin as I've got a couple referrals to some auto body paint pros that are friends of my friends. One estimate so far from an excellent shop is $300-350.

FYI, I did find a very nice FAQ site on automotive painting. The address is: http://members.tripod.com/~bobstory/faq.hmtl

After reading this faq and realizing I'll probably sink $100-150 into material to do it right, I'm likely going to do the prep and let the pros take it from there.

Thanks again,

mike

Quick Reply: My Car Got "Keyed" - attn Paint Pros