Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Key Light Bulb and Battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 01:38 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Porsche Key Light Bulb and Battery

ok, I know this has been covered in previous topics but I just wanted to see if anyone had anymore specific information on the bulb and battery in our Porsche Keys.

I think both my bulb and battery are toast, now I know Pelican Sells both, great, but lets just say I wanted to find the stuff at Radioshack.. the battery is a Varta V625U, which I actually found for 80 centshere !

Now what about the bulb? What kinda bulb is it, 1.5Volt anything that size will work? How about an LED or something neat like that? I just wanna fix this without paying 20 dollars to Pelican or some other website and waiting weeks for shipping
Old 01-23-2002, 04:05 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

You can get a lighted keyhead at Wallmart for abour $3 that has the IDENTICAL lightbulb and battery as our keys- I bought one awhile back and interchanged them. You look at the big spinning racks and hunt for one that is black and is sort of a rounded, triangular-looking one. It is actually a key ring/key head, but even the button that you push to use the light is the same size, and is interchangeable w/the Porsche one, except it is textured instead of smooth. Otherwise, you can order a factory set-up from Don Rosen in Philadelphia (they have ads in Excellence and Pano)- I bought the Porsche key head from them a long time ago (2 years) for about $7, but it's probably a little more now...
Old 01-23-2002, 07:41 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

d'oh i was just at walmart! i should have that of that, great idea! 3 bucks for the light and battery! by the way, how do i contact Don Rosen?
Old 01-23-2002, 07:46 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Found my battery at Radio Shack.
Old 01-23-2002, 07:57 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

battery sure, but bulb?
hey i was lookin on the net
how is the photon 1 lookin, similar size, think the parts will fit in the key? its kinda expensive.. but its got a nicer battery and light (lithium+led)
Old 01-23-2002, 08:16 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

I have a Photon and I'm going to try it. Can't find my teeny-tiny philips screwdriver tho...

It would give bodacious illumination if it works..

Thaddeus
Old 01-23-2002, 10:33 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don Rosen: 888-audi-4-me

You have to ask for the Porsche parts department. As for the Wallmart specials, they still had them several months ago, so I assume they're still there.

I just saw some really cool illuminated key rings the other night. They were really little, but the bulbs were a little fatter than our Porsches. The guy that had them had two- one blue and one red- they were EXTREMELY bright! They didn't really look it inside, but outside in the dark, they glowed like crazy!!! They could illuminate the key hole from over 10ft away- I think they're about $20 each though...
Old 01-24-2002, 08:10 AM
Martin
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put a ultra bright blue LED in mine, you need to use two batteries to do this to get the right voltage, there is a size available that is half the thickness of the origional, it is virtually indestructable after this, mine has worked for the last two years.
Old 01-24-2002, 10:18 AM
Sajid
Racer

where did you get the ultra blue led from? and how much was it? Also, about the photon light, will those fit into our porche keyheads exactly?
Old 01-24-2002, 11:02 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, Martin, I would love to hear about that too- it seems you've got colored lights coming out your ears... Martin is one of those guy's who understands electrical things that normally drive me crazy. I usually end up paying guys like him to fix the things I end up breaking when I try to change "simple" things like these. Oh yeah Martin, how are the colored instrumentation lights working out? Didn't you do something new w/them recently? I'd still like to find a "simple" way to change my interior lights to red...
Old 01-24-2002, 11:30 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Funny! When I saw the price of a brand new OEM Porsche keyring/light ($20), I thought it was a TYPO! A bargain by Porsche standards!!
Old 01-26-2002, 10:14 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

The bulb (pity) and batteries (no surprise there) from the "Photon Micro Light" (tm) do not fit in the Porsche key. I diddled with it this AM. The bulb could be made to work, with modifications, but it would be way too much hassle.

Thaddeus
Old 01-26-2002, 01:10 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Actually, I don't think it was 20 dollars, and I'm impressed with Pelican because they got it here by Friday (yesterday, along with a few other parts I needed to fix the radiator), and I ordered it on Monday. They are in California and I'm in NC, so that's quite impressive.

-Matt

PS
Skip, you should see about carrying some of those odds and ends parts, such as keys, etc.
Old 01-26-2002, 05:41 PM
Martin
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok the Ultra bright LED cost is about three dollars, you need six volts to drive it to any real brightness, this is achieved by purchasing two times Varta CR1216 Lithium 3v batteres, these are half the thickness of the origional batteries, I uses a small piece of tape around the outside of the batteries to hold them together while the key housing is pressed together, the LED has long leads that are easily bent to the correct places to pick up the power from the batteries and switch (polarity has to be correct). I did this over two years ago and it has been dropped many times and survived and is still very bright.
Old 01-26-2002, 07:44 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Or... you can get some of the Superwhite LED's that I am using in my dash and 1 3v battery that is usually in there. All you need to do is replace the lamp with the LED. Now.. question is.. will it need a 3mm or 5mm bulb?

I do not have the key light to try, but might order one with all my other parts.

You can get the 5mm white ones from Radio Shack, or the 3mm from Radio Shack.com, Newark electronics (where I got mine), and LED.com

Have fun!

Quick Reply: Porsche Key Light Bulb and Battery