Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mike B

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002 | 12:51 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

Post Mike B

I saw the pics of your powder coating. I was wondering where I could get the supplies to powder coat. Thanks
Old 01-23-2002 | 01:31 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

I saw the pics of your powder coating. I was wondering where I could get the supplies to powder coat. Thanks

No problem...I bought my gun from Hotcoat but Brian at Columbia Coatings has a gun with better features for less money...I bought all my powder from him...He is very helpful and knowledgeable...The red is "ruby red" but I see he now offers a "mirror red", the chrome was standard "chrome" but he also has a improved "clear coat chrome" and the black I used came with the Hotcoat kit...i didn't like that powder much as it took alot more to get the same result as the other powders.

NOTE: I have no relation to the company...just a happy and satisfied customer

Mike
Old 01-23-2002 | 01:49 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Hard to tell from the pictures so which red would you recommend as the closest to Porsche Guards Red?

The red on your son's springs, intake, etc appears a little orange-ish, but maybe it's just the way it looks in a picture vs. real life.
Old 01-23-2002 | 02:54 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

So I need a powder gun? I thought you just brushed it on. Can I use the paint sprayer with my air compresor?
Old 01-23-2002 | 03:34 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got my stuff from Columbia Coatings. I am using Ruby Red, and it is a great color. Darker than the guards, but close. I am also using the Silver Crackle.

Powder needs to be sprayed on because of the static discharge that holds the powder to the part. It would be very hard to brush it on even.

You will need a compressor that will build and maintain 5-10psi.
Old 01-23-2002 | 06:07 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Hard to tell from the pictures so which red would you recommend as the closest to Porsche Guards Red?

Dan...Guess it depends on your shade of guards red...You can call Brian and he'll send you powder coated samples (not sure if he charges for that but it would be nominal)...The red is not orange at all...must have been bad lighting in my garage...I'm with Perry951...It's a great colour...

So I need a powder gun? I thought you just brushed it on. Can I use the paint sprayer with my air compresor?

eurospeed951...Yup...you need a special gun that electrostatically charges the powder otherwise the powder will not stay...An explanation on how it works is at HotCoat's site ...You will require a compressor...very little pressure though...HotCoat's site has most of the answers.

Warning: The results are addictive.

Quick Reply: Mike B