Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Update on the 951 purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 12:50 PM
*WiZaRD- 951
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post OT: Update on the 951 purchase.

Well, as some of you know I'm going to be buying a 951. Originally, my dad came to me with the idea after a patient of his got into talking about cars with him. It somehow got brought up about someone he knew in Maryland selling an 89 Turbo. Well, it had a few bent rear passenger suspension parts and was fine other than that. The price was amazing and we talked with the seller for a long time. Knowing he had others interested and one already setting up shipping arangements, we secretly sent our money overnight to him FedEx. Despite our efforts the other guy had done the same thing, and because he inquired about the car first, he got it. Now I'm looking at one closer to home, in TN. Along with another in Arizona, they each have their strong points, it's all up to my decision now.
CarX
1988 944 Turbo, burgandy/burgandy.
99k original miles.
No body damage at all, 7 out of 10 interior.
He has all records, and has had it's inspection from a P-Car mechanic yesterday.
Price: 'Negotiable' $7,850

CarY
1987 944 Turbo
No pics yet, don't know color yet.
He assures me it's in great condition and has all records and maintanence.
100k miles
Negotiable - $6500
Old 01-23-2002, 01:42 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Whatever you do, do not trust the seller on the condition of the vehicle. They will flat out lie! Well, they may not know that they aren't telling the truth. If the car is a long way away either forget about it or have a shop check it out for you. If I were you I wouldn't even bother having a shop look at it unless he has either: 1. Records or 2. A LOT of excellent pictures.
Old 01-23-2002, 02:07 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

I'd want to find out more about the Arizona car, dry weather and all. Tabor is right, you need to know WHICH specific records he has. Ask him to read off the dates, mileage, item serviced/repaired and the cost. This way you'll know more about the regularity of service and if the "cheap way" was always taken in servicing it or if it was done thoughtfully. THEN ask for a LOT of excellent pictures. Ask for shots of EVERYTHING you would look at if you were standing there looking at it. Underneath, inside the hatch compartments, underhood - several shots there, the works. If he really wants to sell it getting the shots developed to a disk and sent to you doesn't cost much. If it sounds that good for that price offer to reimburse him a few bucks for the pictures/development. If it's a good car, well maintained and the price is right for your budget then the hassle of doing this stuff will fade quickly while you learn to enjoy your new car!
Old 01-23-2002, 02:16 PM
Mr. Bates - Masta2U
Instructor

That car that got away sounds like a date I had with a girl last week. I mean was supposed to have.

See I was in this bar and I saw this beautiful girl. Im pretty sure she saw me. I was gonna take her to dinner. I secretly told her I wanted her.

Then some other guy started talking to her.

Well I guess its okay since he had the same idea i had. Then I woke up.
Old 01-24-2002, 12:46 AM
*WiZaRD- 951
Banned

--NEW UPDATE--
I've scratched both of the cars above, and am in the process of sending a deposit for the car I'm about to mention.

1987 944 Turbo.
-Rebuilt Motor: This motor was built to much stronger specs. than a stock motor by the man who was the head of MBL Porsche, the largest porsche dealership on the eastcoast, and is now head mechanic at RedLine Motorsports. It was meant to have TONS of mods on it that he has not yet done. There are 18K miles on the rebuilt motor.
-New cross drilled brake rotors and racing pads.
-968 Rims
-Autothority Stage II Chips (uh? ok)
-Testpipe - I'm guessing 17-20HP? lol I duno!
-Guards Red: No damage whatsoever to the exterior, cosmetics are all in shape!
-Black Leather: he said he'd personally give it a 7, but others have told him better. Two small scratch style tears in the passenger seat that have been patched a little to prevent further tearing.
-All records.
-Rear Shocks were replaced yesterday, fronts are being replaced before I pick it up Sat.
--There are alot more things replaced that I haven't gotten listed yet, I need his response in e-mail first ;-). I'll have some pics for yall Saturday Night or sunday afternoon if ya want'em. I'm not going to G-Tech it or anything I don't really care, I only care about 944'z numbers. This 951's should be plenty, no, TO MUCH really, I'll probably sell the chips if I can get a good price for'em. I'm 17, NO need whatsoever for that stuff, are they hard to get out?

Quick Reply: OT: Update on the 951 purchase.