Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Head Gasket?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2001 | 01:07 AM
Scott '85 Early
Intermediate

Red face Bad Head Gasket?????

Ok so today I check my coolant level and find that it is quite low again. Twice now in the past 6 weeks Ive had to add about a liter of coolant to the system. There are no signs that Im leaking anywhere as my car doesnt leave any tell-tale puddles at all. I replaced the radiator, hoses, and the coolant reservoir last Aug and the engine is dry as is the pan under the engine. Now I have always known water pumps to just suddenly "go" and they dump a bunch of coolant out the weep hole when they do. My buddy thinks it may be a bad head gasket which sounds possible. Anyone else have any ideas or thoughts? Also.....cost of replacing a head gasket should that be the case?
Old 06-04-2001 | 10:45 AM
Dano_944
Instructor

Exclamation

Scott: You may have a bad seal in your oil cooler. These seals are notorious for going out, puting the coolant into your oil! Before tearing at the head gasket, check your oil cooler and oil cooler seals. This is an easier job than a head gasket, and costs are lower. Hint: are you seeing any oily sheen in your coolant? If so, it's the oil cooler seals.
Old 06-04-2001 | 03:28 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd also check the overflow reservoir cap spring pressure. When this spring gets loose, it won't hold too much pressure, and dump some of the coolant, while the car's in motion (only when the cooant is hot, so you may not see coolant when the car's parked).
Ahmet
Old 06-07-2001 | 12:58 PM
billybones
Burning Brakes

Can you smell it? does the engine smell hot? IE. that smell that comes from antifreeze cooking?
Old 06-07-2001 | 01:01 PM
billybones
Burning Brakes

sorry, meant this to attach to last post.. If your head gasket is leaking there would be a power loss.. plus water at the tail pipe.. Unless it is leaking in to your oil.. then your oil level would increase... Or at least see a thinning of your oil...
Old 06-07-2001 | 01:10 PM
Scott '85 Early
Intermediate

As it turns out, my does in fact have a leak and is dripping coolant slowly. It seems that the car has to sit for a long period of time to notice it. If Im running around town you never see coolant on the ground after its been parked for a bit, on the other hand, I laid a white towel under the front of the car and sure enough, in the morning its got a damp blue stain on it. Considering the radiator, hoses and reservoir were all changed out last fall, Im assuming its the water pump since its the original one. (the car has 55k on it now)
Old 06-07-2001 | 01:11 PM
Scott '85 Early
Intermediate

As it turns out, my does in fact have a leak and is dripping coolant slowly. It seems that the car has to sit for a long period of time to notice it. If Im running around town you never see coolant on the ground after its been parked for a bit, on the other hand, I laid a white towel under the front of the car and sure enough, in the morning its got a damp blue stain on it. Considering the radiator, hoses and reservoir were all changed out last fall, Im assuming its the water pump since its the original one. (the car has 55k on it now)

Quick Reply: Bad Head Gasket?????