Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuttering under power

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2001, 07:05 PM
Robert Des Rosier
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stuttering under power

My car has been doing this occasionally for a few months, but has been getting more and more regular. The car, under acceleration, bogs until about 2000 rpm (makes a duh duh duh noise, exhaust is sputtering) and then continues to lope throughout the power band. I replaced the fuel filter two weeks ago, the cap/rotor was done a year ago, air filter was just cleaned, and timing belt just changed (was doing it beforehand). Any thoughts? I poured a bottle of techron into the tank and ran the car to about 90, it seemed to run better afterwards in the high end, but still stutters when pushing the gas from idle.
-Robert
'88 944S 160k
Old 07-30-2001, 08:06 PM
Robert Des Rosier
Track Day

Just a thought, the seal on my gas cap did not pass inspection this past year (just told the guy his machine didnt fit right and he let me go). The seal DOES look pretty worn...would an unpressurized/sealed tank cause any problems?
Old 07-30-2001, 11:12 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

You forgot ignition wires. I had the same problem on my VW fox, changed the cap and rotor, and it went away for a month or two, then came back worse than ever. At night, one time, I popped the hood for kicks (rather lifted the hood off since I broke both of the hinges when the hood flew off the car at 60 miles an hour because I forgot to close it and it was being held on with rope), and I saw something disturbing: large archs coming from the middle of two of the ignition wires to the intake manifold. The engine bay smelled like ozone, too. I replaced the wires, cleaned the cap and rotor (the discharging caused them to get corroded in a month's time), put it all back together, and the car ran fine for a month until the wire from the altinator to the relay box became so corroded that the car stopped "working". It sat in my parents driveway for a long, cold winter and then a tree fell on it this spring and collapsed the roof and blew out most of the windows. It is sitting in a junk yard somewhere.
Old 07-31-2001, 04:59 PM
Ehab
3rd Gear

If it is not the wires, it could well be the AFM, which usually wears out in the most used (part-throttle rpm) range ... It might be worth taking a look to see what shape it's in.
Old 08-01-2001, 04:29 PM
Flormat
Racer

How about replacing the O2 sensor?
Old 08-01-2001, 04:42 PM
Tabor
Drifting

vaccum lines? They will cause bogging in some cars.

Quick Reply: Stuttering under power