Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

But which injector is it ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 11:40 PM
Lamah
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post But which injector is it ???

heres the deal ... I took my car in because the oil level was too high .... turns out one of the injectors is leaking down into a cylinder, then seeping past the rings into the oil .... the question is ... which is it ? whats the easierst/most effective way to test it ?

when the car starts it seems to run on 3 cylinders, then it seems to finnaly kick over to all 4. I dont really want to buy 4 new injectors if i can get away with 1 ....

right now i have the rail pulled, and cups under each injector, i turned the key on to get the pressure up and its sitting as we speak. If this fails to give me my answer, what else can i try ?

Thanks and sorry for the long post ... this problem has been plaugeing me for some time now.

Jeff aka Lamah
Old 02-14-2002, 12:39 AM
Lamah
Instructor

also, i have access to a shop, so if there are any special tools i could use to diagnose it, We may have them.

Thanks again,
Jeff aka Lamah
Old 02-14-2002, 01:08 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You really need to find a shop that can test them properly. There should be many who can at_least test them under load to see if one fails. In some cases it would take heat to find this, but it sounds like your leak problem is quite advanced. The flow test will start with a pattern flow check (to get the baseline), then move on to flow testing. All of this is done with glass cylinders so you can see what's going on.

One thing you could try is to pull the injector rail out after the engine has reaches full operating temp (please be careful). This might better simulate the events that cause the leaking.

An injector flow test and cleaning should run no more than $25 per injector. Beware, some "injector" shops do not have the facilities to perform any maintenance on the injector itself... they simply clean, test, and change the filter basket and O-rings for you. New injectors for your car run ~$72 ea.

Good Luck!
Old 02-14-2002, 02:22 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One quick test you can do is try unplugging injectors one at a time when the engine's cold and stumbling as if it's "run on 3 cylinders". It should get worse when you unplug an injector. Then re-connect that injector and move onto the next one. The bad injector will be the one that doesn't affect the car's idle when you pull the plug.
Old 02-14-2002, 12:55 PM
Lamah
Instructor

thats what i was going to try .. but i didnt know if pulling the connector could hurt anything i did try by pulling the plug wires, but i couldnt tell which it was from that ... didnt get a chance to pull them all either, since it kicked back over to all 4 again =/

also, they were just rebuilt by marren motorsports, thats why i'm confused.

*shrug* i have some things to try

thanks,
Jeff aka Lamah

Quick Reply: But which injector is it ???