Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

want a 2nd car..any input?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 10:16 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how about:
- audi RS4 (are they legal here?) or S4
- a cheap and small audi 1.8 turbo quattro S3 (don't think they are legal here)
- an e46 M3, which is something which i don't think the audis can keep up with
- an e36 M3 would be much cheaper and fun+interesting to tweak, with the accessories market already well established
- 928 S4/GT/GTS would be interesting

it comes down to your passion, after all - which wouldn't take me long to figure out, that's for sure.

with all those animated "emoticons", next topic will be "OT:favorite beer/ale"

instigator: it's been done- 1980 vanagon with a 2.7 using '83 pistons off of an SC. you can see what it looks like (partially) at <a href="http://www.scargoracing.com" target="_blank">http://www.scargoracing.com</a> ... too bad he didn't take pics when he was finished. i happened to pull behind him (in san rafael,ca) and knew instanly that it was the vanagon on the web site. after he went to the shop i went up and chatted with him. Wow, he had purple billet aluminum all over the place. He also had a wood box that covered the engine area as he was having a custom cover built that wasn't ready.
Old 02-15-2002, 10:02 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts
Well the RS4 is a great option, but they were never imported to the US. The Audi dealers even started to take deposits on them (my dad put one down) but then the final decision was that the american market was not intereted in a 380 hp wagon.
And this is not the first hot audi that we have missed, the RS2 and the Coupe Quattro SWB.

The RS2 was the one Porsche did the development work on. It took a simple audi s2 wagon (Audi 80 and 90 over here, but we never had the wagon), and to the Wagon they added a 2.3 Turbo charged motor running lots of boost, some Porsche big red brakes, and lot of other mods, ending up in a car that you still have to wait in Europe today. A waiting list for a 10 year old car???? Well they have it.

Anyway you could build your own RS4 out of an S4, sure it wouldn't have the cosworth designed motor. But you could get to the HP figures, you could get the body work and brake upgrades, and you could upgrade the suspension and have a car that could def run with the RS4. And you would have the fun of being able to dust most anything on the road in a Wagon.....
Old 02-15-2002, 10:38 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Well with the budget you have set, I would opt for this route <a href="http://20v.org/s2/home.html" target="_blank">Ersatz S2</a>. As a former owner of the '89-'91 Audi Coupe Quattro I can say it is one sweet ride. Only thing lacking is a more powerfull motor, which I noticed only after I bought my S2. The cure is a turbo transplant from a 200 series car. This thing could be made to be as fast as a chipped 951 plus have 4wd. Not to mention that it is a far more luxurious car than the 944 series, the interiors are beautiful with great materials. The exterior was also always striking and still looks modern to this day. Oh and can carry 4 adults easily too.

Cheers,
Old 02-15-2002, 01:43 PM
twat
Advanced

BMW 850csi?

Quick Reply: want a 2nd car..any input?