Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hard to shift when cold?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 01:56 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
brh, I really don't consider 20K changes to be overly frequent... that works out to about once every 2 years for me. And I'd expect a noisy transaxle to get worse from wear in 55K, pretty muc regardless of lube used. This one, as far as I could tell by ear, did not so so.

Jim, back to work....
Old 01-23-2002, 08:50 PM
Al Cody
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Stiff when cold seems to be normal. Ive had the same problem. A change to synthetic helped. I am using Quaker 75W90. If you have a limited slip it gets a bit more complicated. What is good for the shifting is bad for the limited slip, makes the lsd hook up early and you get a shudder. I ended up solving my delima with 1.5 lt of Quaker75W90 synthetic for limited slip (not enough on its own) and .5 liter 80W90 Quaker mineral for limited slip. Seems to give me the right combination of slip for the diff. and friction for the syncros. See Skip's notes on gear oil on the Paragon site. Very nicely explained. http://www.tech-session.com/Paragon/...axle_fluid.htm
The brake and clutch fluid are common. If not recently done, change the fluid and bleed brakes and clutch. Made such a difference to my car I still can't believe it.
Old 01-24-2002, 11:21 PM
booster
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I used Valvoline synthetic and it works fine for me but I do not have limited slip.
Old 01-25-2002, 12:24 AM
Melchior
Pro

I put ALL synthetic Castrol in my 944S2 tranny that has LSD w/ 90,000mi. The gear shifter shook so horribly at certain RPMs that I had to dump it ($30) and put plain old tranny oil in it for LSD and the tranny operates very smoothly now.
Old 01-25-2002, 03:39 AM
ribs
Rennlist Member

When my friend wrecked my 951 last year and the shop that was doing the mechanical work on the car was replacing the oil cooler, they of course had to change the gear oil.

I asked the board what they recommended, and I got 10 different suggestions back (one that stuck out in my mind was not to use the mobil 1 gear oil), so I asked the mechanic I was using at the time (he wasn't fixing the mechanicals from my accident though) what to do, and he told me to put some dino oil (non synthetic crap...he said the synthetic would give me no benefit and might start leaking...did the fool remember that when he did my clutch a year before that he replaced all of the tranny seals? no.) in there. I really wish I had listened to the advice of the board, as the overwhelming response was to use redline, and my insurance company was paying for it, so price wasn't a factor for me.

Now my car is a bitch and a half to shift in and out of gear when it isn't warmed up...much worse than it was before. I think I may make the plunge and change out the 8 month old fluid in there with some redline when I have my car all apart (I was going to start tearing my car apart yesterday, but I ran into some electrical problems...my air compressor and halogen work lamp, when both are plugged in at the same time and running, have a tendancy to blow the circuit breaker at the storage space I rented, just as my air compressor fills the 13 gallon tank past 60 psi...the breaker box is in the office, and I like to do my work after the people leave and there isn't a bunch of traffic in the lot, so I had to wait until the next day to try to start again, and...guess what...I blew the breaker at 60 psi again. Bummer, huh? I am trying to borrow this girl's garage and ditch the storage space...I will know if she will let me on sunday, but that leaves me with a couple of days of idle time...I think I might try to recarpet my car while I am incapable of doing any mechanical work). Anyways...so...is redline any good?
Old 01-25-2002, 04:35 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

I think one can still get his PhD on this subject...

- the gears wants friction improvers
- LSD works best without friction improvers
- the synchro is brass and that does not go well with some of the additives

Best guess seems dino oil with the correct viscosity range for the climate you live in.

I have learned to be easy on the car when everything is not warmed up and take things easy for the first few miles.
Heavy shifting is one of the indications I use for keeping the revs down.
Take Care
Old 01-25-2002, 05:11 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by ribs: I really wish I had listened to the advice of the board, as the overwhelming response was to use redline, ...
Yeah, and I bet those jokers would all line up to say "I told you so..."

Anyways...so...is redline any good?
Surely, you jest

Skip
Old 01-25-2002, 08:51 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got 10 different suggestions back (one that stuck out in my mind was not to use the mobil 1 gear oil)
What's wrong with Mobil One transmission oil? I've only been running it in my Turbo 5 speed for a month. -Trevor
Old 01-26-2002, 05:35 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Check out <a href="http://www.redlineoil.com/frames/mtlti.htm" target="_blank">http://www.redlineoil.com/frames/mtlti.htm</a>
for a nice explaination of many issues and technical points made in this thread.

Mobil 1 coming out, Redline MTL or MT-90 going in.

Skip...have LSD...what do you recommend?

Mike
Old 01-26-2002, 07:47 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

For an LSD 951, you should be using 75W90 or MT90 (possibly with added Friction Modifier, tune to taste). 75W90 is GL-5 spec, and some folks have a problem with "statements" made against GL-5 use in brass syncro'd tranny's. Sales indicate that this is not the case, but YMMV. MT90 is GL-4 spec. Both are great transaxle fluids.

I'm not familiar with too many complaints against Mobil One... maybe I'm not hearing them... off the shelf, I assume it's some pretty good stuff. I've been using the Mobil One oil in all my cars for many years (except the Porsche, that gets Redline everywhere now). I've been more interested in the opinions of what tranny's seem to like Swepco over Redline and vice-versa. A mixed bag so far, but most older 911 and 914 guys swear by Swepco... to be fair though, at the time of their hayday, Swepco was the, um, stuff.

Good Luck!
Old 02-09-2002, 01:10 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Question

Is this stuff for automatic or manual transmissions? They call it "transmission fluid" instead of just oil....

Also do manuals have a transmission fluid filter?

"Swepco 201 Transmission Fluid

This stuff is the industry standard for keeping your transmission alive and kicking. Some owners will swear that their transmission shifts better with it loaded with Swepco 201. No additives are needed - they're all in there, including a new super-duper, space-age, low-fat, high fiber additive call Lubium that forms a protective film on the internal components. And, if that isn't enough, it's this really cool blue color too!

Swepco 201 Transmission Fluid
SWP-201 $37.50
"

I'm going to finally get the oil changed what do I need besides the oil/fluid if anything?
Old 02-10-2002, 05:35 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That's for manual transmissions/transaxles.

Manual transaxles do_not have an internal filter.

Automatics still use ATF.

Good Luck!
Old 02-10-2002, 06:12 AM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

So whats best for a harder to shift in the cold brass synchro transaxle without and lsd? swepco 201 or redline? I've heard good stuff about both
Old 02-10-2002, 06:27 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Both it is then I'm very happy with the Redline... no need to swap at this point. I just started using the Redline Motor Oil also... already had the Water Wetter and PS Fluid (ATF) from them also... building on a theme methinks. Just got done with a Sparco makeover too. Oh me, oh my... just can't wait for the season to start.

Skip
Old 02-10-2002, 03:38 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Question

is redline cheaper? Where can I get that?

Quick Reply: hard to shift when cold?