Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944na = slow!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2001 | 02:02 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by David J. Harrington:
<STRONG>Also, I'd like to see how a 400HP prelude handled.
</STRONG>
I would like to see a 400hp 944 NA!!!
Old 07-30-2001 | 02:09 PM
David J. Harrington
Racer

Tabor, I was comparing it to a 951, since Adam did. Sorry.

Dave
Old 07-30-2001 | 02:09 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

Dave, I am trying to lend some validity to a comparrison of a Prelude and an 8v 944 (Post Topic). I have no idea how a Prelude would handle with 400 HP. Similarly, I am not sure how you plan to get a 944 8v street car there either. I posted the lateral accel. numbers for a 951 because a.) that's what I found and b.) it should be 40# stiffer springs than the aforementioned 944 8v.

Edit: posted before seeing the reply discussing the 400HP issue.
Old 07-30-2001 | 02:14 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Stock skid pad figures are a terrible way to judge a car. The 2000 Integra Type-R had a stock skid pad of 0.89 I belive (don't hold me to this). Anyway, that is a decent skid pad, but then you realize that that is with Bridestone RE-92s!!! They are aweful.

Now that 0.89 is really impressive. And the car is even more impressive as soon as you get some good tyres on it!
Old 07-30-2001 | 02:21 PM
David J. Harrington
Racer

Adam, no problem. I definately think of preluse as a nice car, but I have just never seen one that was very impressive. However, I do not exactly live in the best sports car location. On the track, with the few preludes I've, they seemed out of place. However, the drivers could have been learning(you should know that I am also new to the track with only 5 outings). I made the 400HP comment due to torque steer. It is a large annoyance when you have a FWD car with any more than 250HP or so. Also, by design, the car will want to oversteer in stock form. Sure, the SH has torque transferring gizmos to combat this pretty effectively, but has been know to have problems on slippery road. Also, you cannot use engine torque as effectively with a FWD model to modulate oversteer.

I am not going to spew such a generalized statement such as RWD is always better, but if we are talking about racing only, look at "real" race cars(say GT class, etc). How many of them are FWD, and if there aren't many, I wonder why that is???

Sorry if I am offensive. I am just extremely bored at work with nothing to do
Dave
Old 07-30-2001 | 03:10 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

If you want to drive at high speeds, then you need a newer well put together Porsche. I would never trust my 944 to do 130 on the [sic] Autobon. A vast wealth of problems would follow unless the car is race prepared.
Not true. My dad had an 81 - yes EIGHTY ONE - 924, purchased in Germany when we lived there. Hit 126 mph for a good stretch, actually when he was driving down the the dock to have it shipped to Stateside (back in 1986). I don't want to say how fast I have taken my 944 na, but I did take it fast (Autobahn speeds) and it was indeed stable.

My 87 na944 has only 60k miles on it and would be lucky to go much over 100mph as I have tried. The 944 car is an entry level Porsche!!!!!!!!! Just because the car has Porsche written on it does not mean that it is fast.
Yes, and, as stated, the 924 was even more entry level with a smaller Audi/VW engine and DID cruise on the AutobAHn. Entry-level nothing, the car is a Porsche, thus it's made for handling and high speeds.

A honda Odyssey minivan will outrun many of the automatic na 944 cars.
Then go buy a Honda Odyssey? Like I said, no one ever said the car was a drag racer. Doubt any minivan could hang with a 951 though...

Maybe impressive for mid-80's, but a joke when compared to today's cars.
A "mid-80s" 951 is no joke even when compared to today's cars. Integra Type R vs. 951?? Ha. Now there's a joke. I smoked a type R in my 1987 924 S a few years back (in my "younger" days) and Phil on these boards can back me up on that. Actually, two different times, the other was twice in a row from stoplight to stoplight. Maybe the kid didn't know how to shift...

Simply put by the mechanic that just serviced my 944... There is no way the car will be fast, even at higher speeds because of the weight and general deterioration of the cars compression over time.
Get a new mechanic. The man doesn't seem to know what he is talking about. Yeah a beater piece of crap won't see high speeds, but I took my 87 924 S up to a very VERY quick speed and it was rock solid. It had a few more mph to go too!! Keep it in halfway decent condition (what you should do anyway) and she will server you well.

I have to drive my 944 with the gas pedal floored almost all the time just to keep up with highway traffic.
That's probably cause most idiots on the road now days floor THEIR cars 24/7! Just accellerate normally, save gas, save wear and tear, etc. Who cars if the dude in the mini van or the ***** in the Prelude passes you in traffic driving??? You drive a Porsche, they do not. 'Nough said.

Anyway, sorry so long just felt as though much of that was directed towards since I was the first to respond to this post, so I thought I should respond in return.

DISCLAIMER: I do not drive fast, did once in the 924 S and almost once in the 944, but I have to say fast drivers in normal traffic tick me off putting everyone at risk for their thrill (in a Civic??) I have had two tickets in my life while owning Porsches, and ironically they were both in our 95 Mazda B2300... Just be careful.

As they say...

Keep the revs up,
Matt
Old 07-30-2001 | 03:11 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

A.) Those Preludes are using up-to-date technology - the P-cars are almost going on twenty years old these days- how can anyone here make a comparison with those facts in mind?; b.) the 944 has a higher top end (think: torque) and WILL handle better at those speeds (I made sure of this yesterday). c.) weight-wise, th 83 that I own weighs just 2700 lbs/1180 kg. If you want heavy, buy a BMW 5-series Touring. As reflected in the previous posts, I feel that this car will always have some sort of advantage (for its period) due to the mind-set of its creators and where they were built (think: autobahn). These days, I don't think Porsche makes a car that could compete with a '00 Prelude, or a Mazda 626. They surpass them! Of course, this includes cost as well. The next logical step in comparison is a Boxster (?).. (correct me if I'm wrong on that one).. case in point: yesterday, I pulled to the right to let a Mustang pass- they may be initially faster- I wasn't going to contest that- but I think that they are *definitely* more dangerous to drive a higher speeds (read: stupid to try this)... And that is where this Porsche has the advantage. After all is said and done, it comes down to the driver. People can get smoked by others who can drive well, but drive crappy cars. thanks matt o. for your summarisation, well said.
Old 07-30-2001 | 04:37 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by Matt Olde:
<STRONG>I smoked a type R in my 1987 924 S a few years back (in my "younger" days) and Phil on these boards can back me up on that. Actually, two different times, the other was twice in a row from stoplight to stoplight. Maybe the kid didn't know how to shift...
</STRONG>
I can garentee that it was not the car. Or, it was actually an LS with a Type R sticker and wing. How do you know it was actually a Type R?

Some Type R specs (2000/2001):

195Hp @ 8,000 RPM (redline is 8,500)
0-60 published by Acura is 6.5sec (6.2 is what people have been able to get out of it)
1/4mile in 14.8sec @ 96mph
2650lbs.
LSD stock
Top speed of 153 MPH

I have been in one at 150MPH, and it was nice and smooth.
Old 07-30-2001 | 04:46 PM
David J. Harrington
Racer

I garuntee that it was not that car either. How could he have smoked a 2000/2001 car a "few years ago"?

Dave
Old 07-30-2001 | 04:55 PM
keith
Drifting

This is fun, give me more!

BTW, I got nailed at the Roebling Road autocross yesterday by a CIVIC.

By almost 6 seconds.

In my 951.
Old 07-30-2001 | 05:02 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

I don't think its fair to compare such an old car to such a new car. But if you insist...
'88 951s & '89 951:
247hp @ 6000rpm
258 ft-lbs @ 4000rpm
0-60 in 5.5 sec
162 mph top speed

That's stock, of course
Just a chip brings power up to 290hp and torque up to 325 ft-lbs.
Porsche doesn't play around
Old 07-30-2001 | 05:02 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

I have driven two of them, a '97 for some touring laps at CMP and a 2000 on a test drive. My 944S is definately light on power as compares to an ITR and about the same in handling (and I have 400# coilovers fr/rr with Koni's - no way in hell they compare with stock suspension). From my experience on track (a very good friend of mine has one and we do several events a year together - very similar skill) with a substantially improved suspension, my car and an ITR are well matched (I would venture a guess that the three 944/951's in ASP would fair competetively with an ITR - 944S/944S2/951).

I think the 44's have a torque advantage to the ITR's hp/weight advantage.

NOTE I am talking about tracking a car on a road course. I don't purport to know (or care for that matter) what a car does between stoplights.
Old 07-30-2001 | 05:08 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I garuntee that it was not that car either. How could he have smoked a 2000/2001 car a "few years ago"?
I am well aware of the fact people put stickers all over their cars. I knew this kid, I've seen the engine bay, it was a Type R.

And a few years ago would have been 99, which, as far as I know, they made the Type R in 99. Please, someone, I am sure you will, correct me if I am wrong.

As I stated, obviously the kid didn't know how to drive because on paper that car beats my 924 S.

-Matt
Old 07-30-2001 | 05:14 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

195Hp @ 8,000 RPM (redline is 8,500)
0-60 published by Acura is 6.5sec (6.2 is what people have been able to get out of it)
1/4mile in 14.8sec @ 96mph
2650lbs.
LSD stock
Top speed of 153 MPH

I have been in one at 150MPH, and it was nice and smooth.
I'm sure it is a great car...

It better be for the 25K sticker price, or whatever it is.

Never said the car sucked. I drive an Integra as a daily driver, cause it's an automatic. A 1990 Integra LS, 116,000 miles. Easy to drive, not a race or track car though that's for sure.

-Matt
Old 07-30-2001 | 05:14 PM
David J. Harrington
Racer

Adam, I agree. I don't know how we got off on 0-60 times and the like. This was a handling discussion. Let me share the wisdom of my soon-to-be brother-in-law:

Paul: How's you hole-shot?
Me: What???
Paul: You know, your launch.
Me: My car's not a drag-racer. Therefore, I don't drag-race it.
Paul: All Porsches are drag-racers!

Well, as you can see, we should forget all of this handling nonsense. Afterall, all Porsches are drsg-racers

Later,
Dave

Quick Reply: 944na = slow!?