Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanted - lightweight (fiberglass?) dash

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013 | 12:39 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
If you want free, just strip the padding off the dash and cut off the lower section below the trim strip. You won't believe how light it is (assuming this is a late car). We run most of the race cars like that.
So how light is it? I remember mine still seemed pretty heavy with the padding on even after most of the guts of it were removed.
Old 07-30-2013 | 07:02 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

This is a late car, and the bottom is already cut off the dash. And everything has been removed from underneath. And, with the instrument cluster, it's still 15.3 lbs. Does the foam padding really weigh that much?
Old 07-30-2013 | 07:26 PM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Pfffft, aesthetics...it's a race car! Granted, I wish a few more of our wires were a bit more organized, but we just zip tied and hose clamped our gauge cluster to the dash bar. Horrible pic, but the only one I could find of it even sort of in the shot:

The part that sucked was that we had ours fitted to the side when I would have preferred it to be in my face, but it didn't budge an inch when everything else did, haha.

Agreed on the weight of the OEM dash, though. That foam padding sucks, is heavy, and sucks. I'm too used to my hollow plastic Mitsu dash. I was shocked how much that crap weighed when we ripped out ours.
Old 07-30-2013 | 10:18 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by odurandina
Carl,

have you posted pics of the completed V8 car?
I can't remember what I had for lunch let alone that, lol. I think they are in the v8 registry.

Originally Posted by Dubai944
So how light is it? I remember mine still seemed pretty heavy with the padding on even after most of the guts of it were removed.
Not more than a couple lbs I would guess. The lower section adds a ton of weight. With it stripped down, it is actually fairly flimsy.

For a chump car, I would cut off the passenger side at minimum. Most of the wiring under the dash can be removed with a little work.

Quick Reply: Wanted - lightweight (fiberglass?) dash