Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm output to close windows and sunroof - easy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 05:27 PM
zcacogp
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm output to close windows and sunroof - easy?

Chaps,

I have an alarm on my 944S2 (UK spec) which I fitted when I bought the car 7 years ago, and which works fine.

It has various extra 'outputs' in the form of wires which go to ground (or to +12v) when you press spare buttons on the remote control. I've always meant to connect them up to do something useful, and now is the time to do so. I'd like to connect them in such a way as to make the alarm close the windows and sunroof when you activate one of the function outputs.

My question therefore is whether there is an easy way to achieve this; closure of both front windows and the sunroof from a single wire which goes to ground when the button on the remote is pressed. The wire goes to ground for 20 seconds (this can be adjusted up or down) so it can be used to 'hold' a connection for long enough for the windows to fully roll up.

I'm confident with wiring, and could easily build a solution using relays which would be switched by the alarm output. However it's more complex than I had originally thought; the window and sunroof switches on the dashboard only work when the ignition is on, so it's not just as simple as using relays to mimic the action of these switches as I want them to work when the ignition is off. I could build a 'brute force' solution, with relays connected directly to the contacts on both window motors and the sunroof motor, but this will require quite a lot of relays (six, one for each connection) and would be unwieldy and ugly.

Hence the question ... is there a more elegant way of doing this? I am sure there is, and will study the wiring diagram to see whether I can spot it, but in the interests of both my sanity and eyesight I was wondering whether anyone had done this before and hence could help me out!

I hope that question made sense. All suggestions welcome - thanks.

Oli.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Mangonesailor
Racer

Well, since you're in the UK...
Old 07-22-2013, 04:31 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I haven't done it on this car but had it on my old car. I needed a window wind up module. I used a directed electronic unit(they make Viper python alarms etc). Their sensors and modules are as good as you can get. You maybe able to do it with relays etc but would be dodgy IMO and the module makes the whole thing safer and more reliable. You would need two modules. One for windows and another for sunroof which gives you total closure. if you wanted to be able to open your windows a little after car is locked you would need a 3rd module.
peace
Cyberpunky
Old 07-22-2013, 10:15 AM
zcacogp
Intermediate

Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Mangonesailor - great! Just ... it's pricey. And not what I want. Thanks anyway though!

Cyberpunky,

Thanks. That's interesting. I hadn't heard of window modules until I read your post, and I've looked them up and discovered that they vary hugely in price. Are they suitable for connecting to the sort of system that a 944 has? (Was your old car a 944?)

In the absence of such a system, is there any reason why this circuit wouldn't work?

Oli.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:40 PM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

The 2 issues with doing your own circuit are current draw from relays being on and shutting down once windows close. I had a look at the directed site and couldn't find closure modules but as you say there should be plenty of options. I would highly suggest using a module as it will minimise current draw and simplify things as well as giving you a much more reliable method.

My old car wasn't a 944. It was an old corolla that I fitted a Spal power window lift kit too and then the total closure option.
peace
Cyberpunky

Quick Reply: Alarm output to close windows and sunroof - easy?