Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Disc - Linkage - Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2001, 05:56 PM
Craig944
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Clutch Disc - Linkage - Transmission?

I've posted this once on Pelican I think, and din't hear much. Maybe someone here can help me.
Problem: First thing- At 3K rpms my shifter raddles hard, this is while driving and while in idle.
Second thing - While i'm driving if I let off the accelerator with any more speed that super slow my car seems to jerk and begin to slow down as if I geared down.
Third Thing - I hear a noise, that almost sounds like it's a long pole or something crunching. When I shift into any gear I hear it when the shifter enters its spot. It will also make this noise when I let off the accelerator quickly or normally. Sometimes it won't make it when i'm putting it into gear, just after I let off the clutch and begin to press gas (this is kinda simultaneous).
Forth Thing - While driving or while the car is sitting, I can easily put the car in nuetral without pressing in the clutch pedal at all. I can just pull the stick really slightly w/ my fingers.
--The reason I post all these even though I know some answers is - are they all related? What manuals do you suggest for fixing them since Haynes is downed so much...? My dad and I have always figured the clutch disc would go anytime since the car sat still for about 13 years. (He thinks it hardened and cracked during this time)
Old 07-25-2001, 06:02 PM
Tabor
Drifting

First Thing - Bad rubber centered clutch disk.

Second thing - Bad rubber centered clutch disk.

Third thing - Does it make this sound while the clutch is still in?

Forth thing - If you floor it and try to take it out of gear, does it slip out? It is normal for it to slip out if you pull back slightly and let off of the gas.
Old 07-25-2001, 06:54 PM
Craig944
Banned

Third Thing - No not while clutch is still in it doesn't.
Fourth Thing - Oh, ok. It only comes out easily when gas is depressed.

Thanks alot.
Old 07-25-2001, 06:55 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that you need a new clutch.

Be sure to get all of the parts - including the bearings. My car had a bad clutch when I bought it It made all kinds of horrible noises between 3 & 3.5k rpm, had serious backlash whenever I accelerated or let off the gas, and I often had problems changing gears. All of the problems went away when the clutch was replaced.

Here is a list of the clutch parts replaced in my car:
Clutch Disk
Preassure Plate
Guide Sleeve
Ball Bearing 35M (Pilot Bearing)
Release Bearing
Shift Lever

Oh, I almost forgot - both myself and the seller thought the tranny was shot. The noises sounded as if they were coming from the transaxle - so much so that I did not believe the Porsche dealership when they told me the tranaxle was fine. Turns out that they were correct
Old 07-25-2001, 07:06 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Craig. I suggest that you change your clutch, and then see what symptoms you have left.

How many miles do you have on the car?

It is not normal for you to be able to take it out of gear while accelerating.
Old 07-25-2001, 09:15 PM
Craig944
Banned

I can't take it out of gear while accelerating. Just when foot is off gas.
Oh, I AM replacing the clutch! =). I was just making sure nothing else needed it, like the transmission! I have 43K Miles on my car. The thing is though, we think since it sat for such a very very long time w/o any usage that over those 13 years that the clutch disc hardened then cracked upon me starting to drive it all of a sudden, I don't 'ride' the clutch.

Quick Reply: Clutch Disc - Linkage - Transmission?