Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The answer to Importing to U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001, 04:02 AM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question

How do they import the brand new, but old body style, VW Beetles from Mexico? Simple, they take a salvaged Bug and cut one, only one piece from the frame and put it on the new car, but it has to be from the frame. Could it be too good to be true?

(by the way, I know Mike Adkins is at work too!)
Old 11-06-2001, 05:06 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, bottom line seems to be it is worth the trouble for an 951 convertible.
Maybe just for a 951 coupe, but probably not for a 944-NA
Right?
Old 11-06-2001, 07:40 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone have any references to companys that will do the conversions? I had a website of a place in texas but my computer has been rebuilt since then Danke
Old 11-06-2001, 08:28 AM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike, should've asked me first!
List of Registered Importers for Mike because he is lazy and doesn't want to take 2 seconds to write a letter to the DOT to find out who they are!!!
That is what I have so far, still no word on the changing the piece of the frame. I failed to mention that the new bugs have a salvage title. Probably could've guessed that. Sorry.
Wir sprechen ums speiter, Mike. Tschüs.
Old 11-06-2001, 11:55 AM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

JK imported my car. Other importers I've seen:

Liphardt and Assoc: '91 BMW 316i I found in a junkyard.
All Coast Imports: Imported an '85 Euro BMW 318i I had a few years back.
Fast Forward: Imported the '85 928S that I currently have.

Liphardt and Fast Forward are/were both on the east coast (NY and Boston respectively) and All Coast was a So Cal grey market importer. All these places have since flown-by-night I believe. Fast Forward cars are pretty common in the New England area - whenever I see an '80s Euro version (BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, etc) around here, and I have a chance to look at it up close, more often that not it has the Fast Forward import label on the door jamb. My 928S was a great find, in my opinion, because Fast Forward was an "excellent" importer. This means they were amazingly lazy and didn't do squat to the car. They left the lights, sidemarkers, instruments, bumpers, basically everything alone. And this is how I like my cars.

Another interesting option is to check out www.sportscarimport.com and take advantage of their service. They make importing a car seem pretty easy.

Personally, if I was going to try it, I'd import something like a 968 that has the same engine code AND body and bumpers as a US version.

Bryan
Old 11-06-2001, 06:17 PM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talking

Jon's Lesson on Importing a Car, the easy way:

So, here is what I have learned about importing a car, in my situation at least!

1. Find a great car
2. Join the military (so you can ship your car for free!)
3. Find a car (924 most likely) that is at least 25 years old and has a salvage title from the US(starting to sound fishy already?, read on)
4. Cut the frame where the vin number is and weld it into your newly purchased jewel.
5. Have the car shipped to Canada, where the import laws are somewhat laxed, to be picked up by your stepfathers trucking company! (what, your stepdad doesn't have one, it works for me)
6. Bring your car across the border, no problem, because technically you're not importing crap because it is a salvaged car. Just taking it home.
7. Register your car under the salvage title.

Thats it. Just 7 easy steps. It happens everyday with the Volkswagon Beetles now made in Mexico. They are made in Mexico, have the whole vin number thing done, shipped across the US to Canada, and then driven into the US. Why can't it work for a Porsche 944, uh, I mean 77 924! What is the difference. It is ok when someone builds a car from scratch to use a salvage title. Big deal, mine was in immaculate condition and I decided to change the only part that counts, the VIN on the frame.
Any objections? I didn't think so.
Old 11-07-2001, 10:34 AM
Brent 89 - GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you didn't get it from the previous link, the place in Texas is Wallace Enviromental Labs. They are a major importer and have a great reputation.
Old 11-07-2001, 12:29 PM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not going to come and visit you in jail Jon...

Quick Reply: The answer to Importing to U.S.