Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

urgent: autothority short shift install problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2001 | 06:09 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Post urgent: autothority short shift install problems

OK I'm having problems installing the short shift.
In the image, the bolt opposite the white arrow is giving me problems...its a 13mm. I can get a wrench on it...but I cant move it...i moved it a little initially but no more.

Second problem, the blue arrow is pointing to. I can't pull that off...Tried heating and WD40...wont even budge. Should I worry about putting too much force on it? The entire tranny moves sometimes...Yes I removed the 10mm bolt...

third problem, the rod that goes up towards the shifter (in the car..shift **** etc), how is that bolt/thing suppose to come off? Does it have to be removed for that to slide off? It's not a hex, not anything I've ever seen...there's not even really a hole in it.

My brother is helping me and he has to leave in a few hours...
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewP...p=56015332&f=0
Old 11-04-2001 | 06:32 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

You don't have to remove the bolt opposite the white arrow because that assembly is what you're replacing with the Autothority piece.
Pull the rubber bood forward and separate the long shift rod from the short "intermediate" shift rod. You do need to remove the bolt between these parts.
After removing the 10mm head bolt, the shift lever will come off the shaft going into the transmission, but it often takes a combination of heat, penetrating oil (cool between) and hammer tapping. Once it starts to move, it will slide off.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-04-2001 | 06:47 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

You mean the 10mm bolt that goes into the thing the blue arrow is pointing too?
I removed that.
So just heat/penetrating oil and hammer to get it off??

Back to the third problem I mentioned, it doesn't look like there's any way for that bolt/whatever to come off, but it also looks like it has to come off for the shifter assembly to come apart...

thanks,
Adrial

Oh and I can wiggle the shifter left to right now with 0 effort, its not moving anything inside the tranny..
Old 11-04-2001 | 10:13 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

In later news...
Problem 1: Well..turns out I didn't have to remove that bolt...the reason I went after it in the first place is that the bolt that I was suppose to remove had its head snapped off...

Problem 2: Hit it and WD-40'd it and it came off...

Problem 3: This is the bolt that had it's head snapped off...
I drilled most of it out...but I dont have the right size drill bit so I'm holding off.
After I get that off...I'm going to drill a 3/16" hole through the entire thing...the new autothority piece and the old black selector. then I'm gonna stick a 3/16" bolt through it.

I think that'll be very solid, anybody disagree? comments? Should I use a larger bolt? I want to stick with something small, because the metal piece that goes into the black thing might be weakened if I go with something too big..

P.S. I really need a lesson in the terminology...hehe...

thanks...
Old 11-05-2001 | 06:42 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Adrial
Your problem #3 bolt, can you find it on this drawing? http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/944_...3-85/Pic72.jpg

I have a spare transmission in the garage, can have a look in about 6 hrs time in case it is needed.
Old 11-05-2001 | 10:16 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Bolt number 19 in that diagram is the bolt I'm having problems with.
The only thing I wanna know now is if a 3/16" bolt through the entire thing (drill it through) will be solid enough (ie no slack, no slop). I think it will be, but just looking for other opinions.

Thanks,
adrial
Old 11-05-2001 | 12:20 PM
Hans
Burning Brakes

I'll have a look, let you know tomorrow morning
Old 11-05-2001 | 02:46 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

OK, I finally drilled the stupid thing outta there...
I'm assembling the short shift itself now, out of the car.
What exactly is a "heim" joint? I have 3 washers, 2 with edges on them, 1 smooth. What do I do with these?

Thanks,
Adrial
Old 11-05-2001 | 05:05 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Adrial-

The Heim Joint the bolt with the pivoting eye in the center. As for the washers, I can't remember exactly how I set them up in my Autothority SSK and I don't remeber any of the washers having "edges". I believe that I used 2 washers to sandwich the upright link; the one that attached to the lateral bar controling side to side motion. Don't know what the 3rd is for.

HTH
Old 11-06-2001 | 04:47 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Bolt 19 is a grub screw, could not realy get at it but it feels like M8.
The shaft of the tranny (no PN in the drawing, the one that has rubber boot PN 20), is "clamped" in the connecting rod PN 14 to eliminate play. Original design uses friction for transfer of the forces.

Drilling the hole thing throug and put a 3/16 (UNC 5?) bolt in will not be strong enough.
With hex socked head cap screw size UNC 8 (alan bolt ANSI B18.3 / C1936), steel quality 12.9. You will have about 4 times the strength in the bolt compaired to a standard UNC 4. Joint will however be sloppy.

A way to eliminate the slack might be to dril one side of the socket on PN 14 just big enough to accept the head of the alan bolt. The shaft will than be clamped between the head and the back side of the socket.

Have a nyloc type lock nut with a plain washer on the back side, dont bother with spring lock washers, they dont work on a cylindric surface.
Please check if you have sufficient space for the nut, could not see enough to check on my car.

Acc the table I have, the "go through hole" for UNC 8 is 4,2 mm, the drilling for the head is 6.8 mm, max torque is 5.2 Nm (3.8 ft-pds). Go beyond that and the bolt is over-stretched.

Good luck
Old 11-06-2001 | 09:52 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

What can I say, except you were right.
I finished it all up and there was a lot of slack.
Since then I threaded the autothority piece that goes into the shift rod and will get a bolt to hold that in place. My design will use frictional forces in the opposite directions to transfer the force..as the autothority piece will be pulled in rather than pushed away.

As far as sufficient space goes...well I got it the bolt on and then off, it wasn't fun though and required using a 1/4" drive ratched with a flex joint.

Thanks for your help...if I can find a 5/16" bolt with 18 pitch threads I'll be able to finish it up pretty soon. If not I'll have to go back to my friends house and thread a bolt...which I cant do until after 6pm or so.

--Adrial
Old 11-06-2001 | 02:36 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Welp, it's all done now. I found a 5/16" bolt that worked at home depot. Unfortunately I myself snapped the head off when putting it in...but all is very sturdy, no slack at all coming from that joint.
More importantly...when I slide the shifter to the left (in neutral), towards the 1st & 2nd side, it wont return to neutral. 5th and Reverse side is fine. What's going on? Something's binding but what? The heim joint? any suggestions? Maybe lubricate the heim joint? What kind of oil?

thanks,
Adrial
Old 11-06-2001 | 08:25 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Can you clarify the problem??? Is it that the shifter will not return to the default space (between 3rd/4th gear) when in neutral from being in between the 1st/2nd gears, but will return to 3-4 slot from 5th & reverse??? If so, I would think that the it isn't binding so much as the SSK it not aligned properly on the oblong hole on flat steel piece (there should be 2 oblong holes stacked above each other). This will control the location of the shifter (right - left default space) when in neutral. You'll need to loosen the adjusting nut, placee the shifter into neutral (between 3rd/4th gear) then re-torque the bolt. See if that works for you.

Also, Autothority states that the heim joint should be re-greased on a yearly basis. You'll need to remove the bolt from the bottom where it attaches to the flat steel and just put squirt in some standard moly grease.

HTH
Old 11-07-2001 | 12:25 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Well, I figured out the adjusting bit...and went to losen the bolt. It snapped...Those of you that are familiar with this bolt probably know that it requires dropping the tranny to replace that bolt, ball joint and the arm. I had tightened it using a 1/4" drive ratchet...no extension..6" long or shorter handle. I probably overdid it..that and the loctite probably did it in...

On top of that I tried a bolt extractor on the bolt that had broken off...the 1st one..the bolt extractor broke off and is now stuck in the bolt...more problems...

I'm gonna ask my mech how much he wants to fix this mess...if he wants too much I'll take it up on my own with friends & family..

Any rennlisters in NY or near NY that have dropped the tranny in a 944 before and have free time? I'd of course pay for gas and your time...and be most appreciative.

At $80/hr...it's definetely gonna rack up fast...

thanks yet again..

--Adrial....very not-happy...

Quick Reply: urgent: autothority short shift install problems