Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT, but funny... "How to have fun with your 951 without driving it."

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 03:31 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post OT, but funny... "How to have fun with your 951 without driving it."

Since our mail server is down with a worm, I have a moment to waste...

Had a big family get together over the weekend. My sister came up from Madison.

She's a good driver, always wanted to drive a Porsche. After I gave her a ride, she asked if she could take it out.

I said, "No."

She begged. She threatened. She pleaded.

I said, "No."

She argued. She hassled me. She employed guilt. She offered bribes.

I said, "No."

She got really mad. It spoiled her mood. She said mean things.

I said, "No."

She enlisted my mother to her cause. Her 'other' joined in. My wife just shook her head. Everyone agreed I was being unreasonable (which was the point).

I said , "No."

She never drove it. At last, a way to have fun at family get-togethers! I can't wait until the next summer family frolic.

She will be even madder NEXT year.... when I say: "No."

Thaddeus
Old 09-04-2001, 06:43 PM
Black_951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will let just about anyone drive my car. I mean, no one can really treat a car worse than I have.

When I receive a compliment from someone on its appearance instead of saying thanks I usually hold the keys out and offer to let them take me for a ride. It doesn't matter who. Brother, sister, strangers in a parking lot. Whatever.

Borrowing the car is a different matter. I have done it before with trusted friends on special occasions, but don't make it a habit. I am not really concerned about them wrecking it. I mean, it's not a $100,000 car. Or even a $10,000 car. Besides, that is what insurance is for.

I guess on the other side, it is a rare car and always getting more scarace everytime another one is totaled. It would be interesting to know how many are still on the road. But I supposed that can only be guessed.
Old 09-04-2001, 06:48 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
I used to be alright with letting other people drive my car, but I've seen what people do when they're not supervised, and it's not pretty...

Not many people get do drive my car now (well, I haven't driven it all that much, since I lost my license either, but...) The car feels different, everytime I let somebody drive it. And you say that's what insurance is for, I disagree. Insurance gives you money, they don't get you your car back, they give you what THEY think your car's worth (unless ofcourse you agree on a price), but they do not give you YOUR car back, I've got more time and money than I could easily replace in mine, and if I had to loose it all, I'd rather it be done by me than somebody else.
Ahmet
Old 09-04-2001, 08:25 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess on the other side, it is a rare car and always getting more scarace everytime another one is totaled. It would be interesting to know how many are still on the road. But I supposed that can only be guessed.
They weren't that scarce 'till you came along! Sorry couldn't resist
Old 09-04-2001, 08:38 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL! I was thinking up a snappy comment but your's is good enough. With 3 944s under his belt we need some sort of GPS signal when he comes our way.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:40 PM
Andrew
Instructor

I'll let guys i know that can drive stick well drive but only when i am in a good mood. And NEVER will I let a WOMAN drive the car. (that is just a power thing ) Anyway, I feel too many people get spooked when the boost comes on and freek out. So I limit the # of people who drive my car. They can drive my N/As till they are blue in the face for all i care.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:44 PM
Black_951
Instructor

haha I was actually considering putting light bars in the front grilles, dashboard, and rear deck. If I rode around with those on I guess everyone would stay outta my way!

Good point on the shifting. Most people do not know how to shift properly. Those that do not know don't get to drive very much.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:46 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nobody drives my car except immediate family members (mom & bro). And me of course
I just don't trust other drivers my age...
Old 09-04-2001, 09:20 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
I let friends take it for a spin if I know how they treat their own cars. I encourage my best frind to rip it up here and there. It is no more than what I do.

Borrowing it... nope. That I do not do. Let an old friend take it on a date, and my friends and I went out to a movie. He passed us at about 135, not knowing it was us. When I got the keys back, it was the last time I spoke to him.
Old 09-04-2001, 11:43 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah, actually, I wouldn't care if she borrowed it. That -is- what insurance is for. It was just so fun not to let her!

Thaddeus
Old 09-05-2001, 12:01 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Cool

Some day when I'm old and gray (sorry ) I'll probably let some 20 year old take my car out or something, if he is like me. My friend and I were talking about this a while back...

He's got a couple really cool neighbors with fast cars (Z06, 67 Vette, Camero SS, etc). They know how much he babies his cars and drives excellently (that a word??) so it's no problem. Likewise, my girlfriend's father let's me take out his 930 when I am in town (not very often). That's a 30k $ car with PLENTY of boost. He was with me for the first couple times driving it (when I was 17) so he know's what's up. No that's not the only reason why I am dating her. Conversation after I got back last summer:

"Did you get on it?", which I didn't really, maybe a little, I said "A little, I was nice to her." He says "nicer then I would have been."

-Matt
Old 09-05-2001, 05:21 AM
Black_951
Instructor

I put borrowing my car in the same category as borrowing my girlfriend. We can go out together and all have a good time no matter who you are. But you better be someone I know real well or SHE knows real well before I approve of you going out alone with her.

Example, a previous owner. He probably knows the car better than I do. No problem going out alone with it. A previous boyfriend? hmmmmm not so sure on that one. hehe Maybe its not exactly the same.
Old 09-05-2001, 08:06 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Old and grey? Nahhh.
I am 'seasoned'.

Thaddeus

Quick Reply: OT, but funny... "How to have fun with your 951 without driving it."