Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NA Chip Talk

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001, 03:02 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi all! Finally back from SEMA.

Well, I'm a VERY skeptical dope... and usually do quite a bit of homework before any purchase. Call me an information junkie of sorts.

I have the APE chip and love it! It was the last mod in a series, and certainly a noticable improvement and well worth the money. There's really no way of arguing that the na will see performance gains from the addition of a properly tuned aftermarket chip. Yes, it does a lot better with a very healthy engine, and a higher octane gas (if anyone wonders why they recommend the higher octane gas, then go to "howstuffworks.com", and read about gasoline formulas and combustion engines)... but any na should see the improvement. For folks who are modifying other aspects of the engine (air-flow, fuel, etc) you may want to speak with Autothority about a custom chip. This is very important if changing the cam, flywheel, or reference sensors. The chip has a so-called envelope which it will effectively operate AND make improvements over the stock chip. The recent article in GRM is a great example of why not all cars will see an improvement from any-old aftermarket chip.

Overall, it's hard to squeeze substancially more power out of the na engines, but consider every step a useful one. I agree that the cost-per-HP of the na chip does not match the Turbo chips... but that's not really a fair comparison. If you have an na engine, and want more power, a chip will be one of the steps to get there.

Good Luck!
Old 11-06-2001, 04:17 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, Skip. Welcome back!

-Mark 86 944 NA
Old 11-06-2001, 06:03 PM
scular
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Andre,
in any other low compression car like our NAs it will make absolutely no difference between octane levels. It wont make the car fast, better or smoother. Maybe its just the "feeling".
True about the low low comp. ratio. , but I have had a lot and still own a lot of vehicles and in everyone there is a noticeable difference between low and premium octane. The simple reason being that the higher the octane (plus additives)the beter, cleaner more efficient burn of fuel. It is not always noticeable in daily driving, but when the engine is put under a strain... Pulling a 10000# boat with a 5.0l engine for example. Part of the reason it is not so noticeable in newer cars is the computers are advanced enough to adjust the timing quickly from knock sensors and other things. The most significant change occured on my 69 beetle (no sensors there), I made the mistake of tuning it to run on 93 then put 87 in, and it barely ran. If you want more technical information email me and I can have you reading for the next couple of days.

Quick Reply: NA Chip Talk