Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mass Airflow Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2001, 05:40 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Post Mass Airflow Comparison

I'm about ready to order a Mass Air Flow system and would like some opinions on the pluses and minuses of all the systems out there. The ones I am considering are (in no particular order):

Autothority
Lindsey Racing
Speedforce Racing
Huntley Racing
Technodyne Racing

If I understand correctly all these companies are using either a split second or pro-flow system modified for the 944 turbo. All include chips and some include a device to help with A/F mixtures. I want a system that is NOT going to require a lot of tuning to get running and constant maintenance to get keep running. I basically want a plug and play (fire and forget, pull the rope and go, etc.) system here. I have many friends with high performance snowmobiles, bikes, etc. that run amazing for the 5 minutes that they are running but the other 23 hours and 55 minutes are spent tweaking and tuning to keep the damn things running even as good as stock. Definately not a situation I want on my 944 turbo.
Old 11-03-2001, 05:48 PM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by SoloRacer:
[QB] I want a system that is going to require a lot of tuning to get running and constant maintenance to get keep running.QB]
What do you want? Sounds like a Ford.
Old 11-03-2001, 06:43 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
*lol* Damn fingers...typing faster than I'm thinking. Good catch.....no I do not want a Ford.
Old 11-04-2001, 08:19 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They are all pretty much the same. You want to plan for potential here. Which means a large MAF sensor and some adjustability. There is no such thing as "plug and play" because EVERY car will have a different flow pattern. Even with IDENTICAL air-cleaners, MAF-sensor, throttle-body, intake-manifold, turbo & boost level, heads, cams, exhaust, catalytic, muffler, you will still have different flow patterns due to internal wear & tear. If you tweak ANY one of the above components, you're going to need an adjustment (new chips, fuel-pressure, etc.)

Anyone who claims to have a "plug & hopefully-not-pray" system is pulling our leg. They probably have the chips programmed way too rich and the ignition retarded to cover-their-a**es. Which means you won't have an optimal configuration. Going from the 10:1 air-fuel ratio that I got from the suggested tuning procedure with MAF kit, to a more appropriate 12:1 ratio gave me a 70hp gain. So I would recommend a system that gives you control and adjustability. This entails an adjustable FPR and an ARC2 unit. After that, they're all pretty much the same.

Quick Reply: Mass Airflow Comparison