Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

something is very wrong

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 07:42 PM
Francesco944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post something is very wrong

Just this long weekend, I decided to take a road trip to Montana with my 84'944. Everything was great..., until in 5th gear I noticed a slight hesatation with my foot on the throttle cruising at a fairly constant speed. Then I pulled over and checked the oil, and it needed a quart or two. K, it burns a bit..., nothing major, thought it may have solved the problem. It didn't, the hestatating got worse and I didn't know if the car was going to cut out, it was doing it often. Then I pulled into our destination and gave it a rest. Eventually it was doing this in all gears, and I'm home now, knowing that it is going in the shop to fix, plus a skweeking noise as well under the pass. side, bushings I think. Just asking ahead of time what I may be looking at. Anyone think it's the distributor?
Old 09-03-2001, 11:49 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
What do you mean by "hesitation"? Is it suddenly cutting out with a violent rocking movement (spark) or it loses power but continues to be relatively smooth (fuel)? How is it a idle?
Old 09-04-2001, 01:07 AM
Adam Richman
Pro

Might be a completely different issue but I thought it was worth a try. My Bogging Issue
Old 09-06-2001, 06:36 AM
Francesco944
Advanced

actually, I have a pretty good idea on what's wrong, i just was seeking another opinion. Before I went on my trip, i did an oil change. dude in the parts store tells me that they have this new oil from europe in, and it just happens to be on sale..., guy swears by it. so, sucker me to try new things, buys it. as i'm putting it in, i notice it to be a little darker than your conventional. well, on the way down to Montana is when the hesitation/loss of power occured. checked the oil and was down, a lot. replaced it with vavoline 15w40 and the rest of the trip didn't burn a drop. so, my non-inspection conclusion..., dirty plugs from burnin so much oil so fast. the oil was rated at 20w50, but i'm convinced it was pure crap. i thought i had a serious leak somewhere, couldn't believe how much i burned! by the way, I got her going 230km/hr, and she wanted to go more but i let up for oncoming traffic. i was as safe as can be boys, please don't ream me out! what a smooth ride though!

Quick Reply: something is very wrong