Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How NOT to Drive Your 944

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 01:23 PM
doyle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Point well taken Kieth! I just get aggravated when people show no remorse or worse yet think that nothing is wrong simply because they no how to get out of it. I will be the first to congratulate Black951 if he were to promise us never to drink and drive again. I said in my post yesterday that I get a bit fired up over this topic and will again apologize if I come off too harsh or not as subtle as I should. I am very private with my feelings or emotions but for a non drinker who has grown up in an alcoholic family and seen to many people killed by alcohol, it's hard not to get carried away with a topic that stirs many peoples emotions. Maybe we can all change the subject and start back on the $%^#ing snap ring again. Ha ha, just kidding.
Old 09-05-2001, 02:04 PM
my944
Pro

Exclamation

Black951,

From your posts and your own self-doubts and need to post your "$6" achievement (cover and a soda), it becomes ever so blindingly apparent to me that you are very immature at best. It frightens me to know that someone with the mental capacity of a child hides behind the honor and brotherhood of an officer's shield. I know you only through this list, and from what I can gather from this recent posting, I am happy not to know you personally. A child runs and hides behind their mother's leg when they are in danger, just as you do with your badge. Do you think that I care about your "wonderful achievement" of only drinking a soda the other evening? What I do care about is the "apologies" and justifications that you are corrupting this board with currently. They are thinly disguised childish braggings and glorifications that are reproachable! There are young people who read this board and it sickens me to read the BS that you are exposing them to, all the while being somebody that is supposed to be setting an example! Take your medicine, swallow it, and SHUT UP!!!

GET A LIFE!!! STOP ENDANGERING OTHER LIVES!!! GROW UP!!! LIVE BY THE OATH THAT YOU TOOK "TO SERVE AND PROTECT!!!"
Old 09-05-2001, 02:22 PM
MadMax
Pro

Once again, if I wait long enough someone else sums up my feelings on these idiotic topics. Between Craig944 and Black951 we should be able to ensure that Rennlist continues down its current path towards being a board just like Pelican or worse.

Boys and I do mean BOYS...grow up!

Thanks Jeremy, you hit the nail on the head.

Max
Old 09-05-2001, 09:18 PM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Gentlemen (and ladies?),

I've never been to another board ie pelican, whatever. But I feel there is more to maintaining our cars than how the nuts and bolts work. I don't agree with some of the statments made on this board, but it's a good reminder to talk about the tragedy of the road as well. Black951, here's my .02 to ad to the purse. You said some crap about not wanting to be "Uncool" by not drinking? Well what the F*** is up with that! YOU DRIVE A 951 FOR CRISTS SAKE!! If some DS wants to think your uncool for not wanting to kill someone after last call, or heaven forbid, dent a rim, Just tell him to meet you at the track in the AM. I'm considered cool by my freinds just being the DD. Sure I've gone drinking myself, but I never let myself drive. When I get out, if I don't want to call a cab or let my freind drive, I sleep in the F***ing car. So what if I get busted for PI. I'm alive, my car's ok, and most importantly, I haven't killed anyone else. And with the way your "budy system" works you probably won't even have to pay the cost to get the car out of impound. Help polish off some of the tarnish on the badge. I trust very few officers, and this ain't helping with the image. Is it "cooler" to be the guy with a drink, or cooler to be someone a kid can look up to? my votes on the later.

Later all, 3 weeks and counting until I get 253horses
Old 09-05-2001, 09:51 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Later all, 3 weeks and counting until I get 253horses
Bob - how's that? Is it a 951 or 952?

About all this drinking stuff - I say good job for just drinking a coke. I'd be the first one to "jump on the band wagon" of letting you know how INAPPROPRIATE it is for a cop to drink and drive, but I won't make fun of you because you are proud that you had a coke instead of a beer (if you are indeed proud). To some, like myself, I'd rather have a stinkin' glass of water so it's no big deal to me, and the last thing I could care about is what people think is in my glass, i.e. that's something I DON'T struggle with.

But if you DO struggle with it, and you are able to overcome it one night at a time, excellent. I think everyone on here would agree in saying that they would accept you as a friend (whether you cared or not) if you from this moment forward take an oath not to ever drink and drive, even if you think you are ok, and to realize that you do struggle with it and you are going to do everything you possibly can to overcome it. It's plain and simple - IMHO - people don't change for people, they change for The Man upstairs and themselves. Don't do it for us, do it for yourself man. If you don't, one night you may find yourself in a hospital bed or worse yet a body bag next to those who you've killed.

Who ever said Rennlist is just about tech stuff? I remember I posted a question about painting my car and I got advice on life.

I'll be prayin' for you Black951 that you make the right choices and don't put yourself in tough situations to begin with. Good luck.

-Matt

PS
Please be nice to the 951 - some of us dream of driving a 951, don't take it for granted.
Old 09-06-2001, 12:09 AM
sb944
Advanced

Hi there,

I think there have been some good points, but I couldn't resist adding a couple of my own.

Firstly I was 19 when I realised you could have fun at a club or pub without drinking and that not drinking even one beer is easier than drinking close to the limit and then stopping. Most of my friends are the same, and we all enjoy a big night out. We also designate a driver before that night and take turns so that we can cruise into the city in style and still have plenty of drinks if we aren't driving that night. Anyway the rule about sticking to soft drinks from the start is a very obvious one.

Secondly I have been known to get near the limit and drive still, but never to go over the limit and drive. However in my "cheap" Porsche 944 I don't even have one drink if I am driving as only one drink does throw your reactions off slightly and gets worse for each drink after. I wouldn't put this car under the risk of accident for anyone or anything.

And last, no one thinks your uncool if you don't drink one night out. In fact while they are completely smashed and ordering double bourbon, you'll most likely be one of the only ones sober enough to chat up the good looking girls.

Good luck with your police duties etc. Don't go pulling over any 944's though.

Take it easy,

Sam.
Old 09-06-2001, 12:19 AM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

Black..

A suggestion...

Go fet some proivate counselling. I, for one, would have a lot of respect for someone who would voluntarily go and face the possibility they have a problem and could use some help. Like I said earlier, I was once married to an alcoholic. The entire family was affected. When I started going to Al-Anon (the meetings for family members) I was accused of trying to make her look bad. I persevered. Finally she went "to prove me wrong". She found out she was an alcoholic. Big time. Brain damage and all. Too late for the family. It all came apart. But, although disabled to some extent she has been sober for thirteen years. I'm remarried, quite happily, and I still respect her for going for help.

Go get some help. Somewhere out there is someone yopu have probably not met who will be an innocent victim of your stupidity. I weep for them now, because they do not know the time or the date, but you will kill them. Denial is a terrible thing. BTW..one night without a drink proves nothing. Ever hear of binge drinking?

Bob S. a survivor...and you still scare me....
Old 09-06-2001, 12:52 AM
944LT1
Racer

Question

am i the only one wondering how a cop from LA can afford a $4800 wheel and tire package?
Old 09-06-2001, 01:07 AM
Black_951
Instructor

am i the only one wondering how a cop from LA can afford a $4800 wheel and tire package?
First of all, I never claimed to be a cop. I said I worked in "law enforcement". I am commissioned, yes, and have taken an oath, yes. But I work a special project on a mostly volunteer basis. During the course of these projects I have made some ticky-tack arrests of the DWI and drug possesion type. The majority of my income is from outside investments. I do not work uniform patrol.

Second of all, I thought I had explained already the great deal I got on this car after three weeks of negotiating with the seller. $4000 for the entire car. Wheels and tires included. 6000 miles so far and no real problems.
Old 09-06-2001, 01:29 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
I'm not sure if it's any of our business on how someone affords something he has. Not taking sides, just my thoughts.

-Matt
Old 09-06-2001, 01:41 AM
booster
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
OK I know what you are, A MALL SECURITY GUARD!
Old 09-07-2001, 12:25 AM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

Lesee; he reports to a sergeant or is it a lieutenant, yet he is not a police officer. He has arrested people for dwi and drug possession. Hmmm......

Come on, Mike, quit pulling our collective legs.

Bob S. (no longer able to walk in a straight line because one leg is longer than the other)
Old 09-07-2001, 05:38 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is no doubt in my mind you are NOT a policeman...Why mislead everyone...You have a number of issues to deal with my friend with the topic of this post being at the top.
Old 09-07-2001, 06:19 PM
Black_951
Instructor

Hey guys. Let's just get past all this and forget about it. It's been a week now and being reminded about my stupid mistake everyday is getting old. I believe I have actually learned something, so let's just leave it at that and see what happens.

I feel mechanical problems are developing with my 951 and I may need some help soon. Despite anything that has been said I hope we can all still be here for each others tech. questions no matter what our background is. We all still have one rare thing in common... We are Porsche owners and drivers. Let's stick together.
Old 09-07-2001, 06:25 PM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know I should really let this topic die, but I just can't stand the level of immaturity it seems to be displaying.

Yes drinking and driving is wrong, but it doesn't give us permission to jump all over someone and judge their character. Mike just made a bad desicion, something we all are guilty of. Yes, so he works for law enforcement, however.. we are all human.

So instead of ostracizing him, respect him for making the desicion to clarify his position in the first place.

We came here for our passion for the car, we're here now for much more than that.

Quick Reply: How NOT to Drive Your 944