Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How NOT to Drive Your 944

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 11:20 PM
Black_951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, I was going to agree 100% with the above generalization. If you have been around police officers your entire life then maybe it is burned so much into your psyche that you can not see it.

There are many different reasons why people get into law enforcement and being bullied as a child is certainly a very common one. Having a badge, uniform, and a gun gets anyone a great deal of respect no matter where you came from or what you look like. People who can not find respect or power elsewhere find it very easy to obtain as a police officer.

I completely agree that the two different types of officers are either very wild or very uptight. The wild ones often end up into a third type, "burned out" and look like they don't do anything for a while. But after a week or less it goes away and they are back to *** kicking.

The wild ones are usually the bullies from school. They get into it because they could not make a career from being a criminal themselves or maybe are doing illegal activity behind the protection of the badge. As they say, if you can't beat them, join them. This partially fits me.

This is appropriate conversation to anyone who wants to learn more about how to deal with cops. Simply showing an understanding of their job will help put them at ease the next time you are pulled over. And making THEM comfortable on the side of the road is the biggest factor in getting only a "warning" instead of a ticket.

Law enforcement men are some of the greatest guys in the world. They will do anything to help or protect you on duty or off.
Old 09-04-2001, 11:24 PM
Black_951
Instructor

Perry, you really know someone who can fix it for $50???
Old 09-04-2001, 11:47 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Cool

Amen to this:

Law enforcement men are some of the greatest guys in the world. They will do anything to help or protect you on duty or off.
Not this:

Will I drink and drive again? I don't know.
Interesting how they came from the same person? And about the "psyche" thing - no, I don't think so. I am not blinded by anything. Maybe it's you who is using that as a crutch.

That's enough with this. Let this die.

-Matt

PS

But I think writing about it and sharing experiences is a step in the right direction.
Just keep steping that way or else it's all for naught.
Old 09-05-2001, 12:03 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
. Believe it or not, I work in law enforcement and have actually arrested people (recently) for DWIs
This makes you a hypocrite. A new line of work may be a good idea.

If it got back to my Lt. I would be in alcohol classes for the next eight weeks.
You make it sound like a BAD thing.

I may not have hurt anyone else, but I still ruined a $1000 rim, a $200 tire, and now I need a $250 alignment. Hell, a DWI would have been cheaper.
NOT in any state that treats DWI as a type of behavior that should be eliminated. Here, by the time the state and ins. cos. are done with you, the 3 years after liscense restoration will run 5 figures for first offense.

Most of the cops I know are heavy drinkers, who agree that the one thing you don't let anyone off for is DWI. There's a point when you are no longer "on the job", you are the job.

Really, the worse part is that I do know better and that I have had MORE than enough chances and closecalls already.
Really, if you did know better, You'd be doing more about it than posting it here. (HINT:8 weeks of alcohol classes is a start)

Now that I'm pissed off to the point of shaking I'll sign off with:

Dave, Who thinks bad cops shouldn't be seperated from the rest of the prisoners.
Old 09-05-2001, 12:20 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Yup.. I do know of someone who can fix it for $50.

How about this... how about you explain your attitude towards the world and to this list. Why do I get the feeling that you just don't care? I could never understand someone who is an extreme hypocrite. Arrogance never got anyone anywhere with me.

Oh... so why after so many close calls and the "fatality accidents", do you still even have a incling that you might go and drink and drive? This I cannot understand.
Old 09-05-2001, 12:30 AM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

Black951...

In one of your posts you said you could not tell anyone in your area about your problem..You might have to go to what sounded like rehab. Let's face it, chum..the best thing that could happen is for you to go to a rehab program. You are a danger to yourself and to everyone else on the road, not to mention a very poor role model.

The very fact you started this thread appears not to be so much that you were embarassed but you were, in some twisted way, proud of your behaviour. You should not be embarassed. You should be ashamed.

I was married to an alcoholic for years. She finally went to rehab and got sober, but in some ways it was too late. Her behavior became bizarre, and she had permanent brain damage. Keep going the way you are. You won't be driving anymore; you won't be able to. She can't hold a job, and has difficulty in some ways dealing with day to day events. She made my life hell and the lives of our two (at the time) teenage daughters. They still have emotional scars. How many people are being scarred by your behavior?

I said it before......You scare me.

Bob S (not a fan of drunks)
Old 09-05-2001, 12:44 AM
Black_951
Instructor

Perry,

Seriously, I have gotten away with it so many times that I guess I feel I am invincible. Again, this is the first time I have actually ever made contact with anything while intoxicated. It is a bit of a shock.

As far as my feelings towards this board, I believe it is a great resource. My red 951 may still be alive if I had read a thread in the archives.
Old 09-05-2001, 01:00 AM
Black_951
Instructor

Ok, guys, here is the deal. I am going out in five minutes to a very popular club in town to see a very popular band. There will be hundreds of people there, plenty of friends, and tons of alocohol. If I can come back in four hours with a BAL of .000 can we agree that I do not have an alcohol problem and am on my way to setting a good example?

I will have a report at 03:00CST either way.
Old 09-05-2001, 01:14 AM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
works for me.
Old 09-05-2001, 02:58 AM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

Thumbs up

the "human" aspects of all of this moralizing, and externalizing (soap-box fist shaking) make for an scathingly honest and interesting read, a bit of a break from nuts and bolts. damn, black - without taking any position (it don't matter anyhow, anyway) - i give you credit and being honest and not going off on people for going off on you. i guess you remember that it's only the 'Net and we have the complete freedom to express ourselves. this is great, bravo. while not fond of cops (lapd anyone?), i can honestly say that i have known a few who were friends that went far beyond the law for me, which basically comes down to the fact that we are only human, after all.
Old 09-05-2001, 05:00 AM
Black_951
Instructor

Well I made it. Went to the club, enjoyed the band, and only spent $6. $5 cover and $1 for a coke.

When you first get to a club there is a tremendous pressure to buy a drink. From there you don't want to be seen with an empty glass so you keep buying more. When I first got there instead of getting a beer like I always do I forced myself to get a coke. After that, it was smooth sailing and I had no urge to drink alcohol. I just wanted to fit in by having something to drink. The coke was in the same glass as everyone elses drinks so no one knew any better or even cared.

Maybe this will help other people in my dilemma. You want to drink to fit in but you don't want to necessarily get drunk. If you feel embarassed to ask the bartender for a coke just tip him $3 for the first round and $1 each refill. You will be his favorite customer and still be saving money. Or maybe you can buy one of your friends a beer when you get your coke. So you are asking for a beer and a coke. If it is a crowded bar this will probably look better on you.
Old 09-05-2001, 10:20 AM
doyle
Racer

Thumbs down

Hey Black, are you the biggest idiot in the country or what? Embarrassed to buy a coke at a club? What? And you say you don't have a drinking problem. You'll never learn! There is only one way that would teach you but unfortunately for you (fortunately for the rest of us) you'll be too dead to learn the lesson. Why not just say it? You're proud of what you did. You're a little embarrassed that you actually hit something, but underneath that, you're a little proud of your track record. Hell you've only dented 1 rim out of 3 or 4 times driving drunk. I guess you are pretty proud of yourself. When you arrest a drug dealer, do you also pocket the cash he has on him? I wouldn't be surprised. Will you also be proud of the people you slaughter when you're dum luck runs out? I will sleep well the day you go to jail for vehicular manslaughter. Just the thought of you, a cop, in jail with a cellmate that stinks, weighs about 400lbs., and likes to bend over fresh cops, that'll ease my mind, but I'll grieve for the family you will ultimately destroy. I go back to my original post and say that you are a f*%#ing idiot, and your subsequent posts have further proven that fact.
Old 09-05-2001, 11:21 AM
keith
Drifting

hey doyle, I know you have an axe to grind, and I don't mean to diminish your position or its importance, but how is that supposed to help? Your desire for Black to be wrong is so yesterday. It's pretty apparent he is in the wrong. Today's development is strategies to improve safety. It is an alcohol-based society we live in (do you think all that is currently going on with the cigarette industry could happen to alcohol in this country, regardless of the fact that alcohol is SO much more dangerous?). There are LOTS of people out there that probably need some strategies to employ to lessen the social drinking pressure on them. Unfortunately not every adult is an independant person - that's fact, buddy. Let this thread run its course - only good can come out of it, eventually.
Old 09-05-2001, 11:33 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Ok.. so you went a night without drinking.... good.. now how about this. Next time, drink a beer or 2 if you want, and make sure you are under the legal limit before you head out, or call a cab. That, or buy a Coke every time, it is a great product. Just because you are in an environment that encourages drinking, that dosen't mean that you should. And if you decide not to drink, and people find you "UN COOL", then you have the wrong friends.

This is turning into a friggin AA club.

Next step is understanding that the badge is not an invisible shield, it is a job creating revenue for your city. You mentioned that the badge brings you respect... I'll tell you what.. I don't respect any cop that has an attitude problem. I will do what I can to "comply", but not a thing further.

I bet you would get much further in life and career if you tried to have a down to earth attiude, and lost the "ABOVE THE LAW" stereotype.
Old 09-05-2001, 11:36 AM
keith
Drifting

Let me apologise for this in advance - I couldn't help noticing how close the word
UN-COOL is to UN-COLA...

Quick Reply: How NOT to Drive Your 944