Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How NOT to Drive Your 944

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 01:48 PM
txhedg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

A funny thought, on a not so funny topic...

If you remember several months ago Ribs made the mature decision to let a sober friend drive when Ribs had a few too many....smart guy.....except his friend proceeded to wrap the 951 around a on-ramp guard rail....doh. The best laid plans.......

Maybe we should just have a rule that no 951's get let out of the garage after 8pm or if you are even thinking of going to a bar????? It seems a little extreme....but its not the stupidest idea, actually, when you really think about it.

Even if you are not legally drunk, just a few beers can take enough of the edge off so that you are not 100%, which is not a big deal if you are cruising home in the family truckster. But combine that with the fun factor of these cars, the margin of error when you are only at 95% (but still not over the legal limit) can put you in jeopardy.
Old 09-04-2001, 02:30 PM
JasonN
Advanced

Actually your right...come to think of it I would never let a friend drive my car because I couldnt trust any of them with it. If your friend is going to take an unfamiliar car to its limits then he is just as stupid as the drunk guy who lent him the car. But take a cab at least or call a brother or something to pick you up.
I just dont like the idea of putting other peaople at risk. I have no problem with getting wasted and fish tailing in an empty parking lot. Just dont drive on the streets wasted. Hey if you want to get drunk and see how many laps you can do alone at mid ohio before you crash, go ahead.
Old 09-04-2001, 02:35 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Angry

After reading all those posts I have some 21 year old insight...

Don't drink and drive. Period.

If you do I have no sympathy whatsoever for what happens to you. However, I do have sympathy for what happens to those who you inflict pain. Praise God you didn't hurt anything other then your pride and pocket book.

Everyone makes mistakes, it's just the stupid people who make the same mistake twice. Don't be stupid. File this away in your box of CLOSE CALLS and remember it the next time you go out for a "few" beers with the guys.

BE THE D.D.!! Just like the Porsche commercial...

"I'm the designated driver." "No, drink what you want but I'll be drivin'."

-Matt
Old 09-04-2001, 02:51 PM
JasonN
Advanced

Funny how us youngins seem to be the most responsible drivers out there but are hit with outrageous insurance rates.
Still working on my perfect record...8 years and counting. Maybe when I hit 10 flawless years my rates will approach the rates of a 50 year old who has totalled a couple of cars in the last few years.
Old 09-04-2001, 03:43 PM
doyle
Racer

I apologize if I came off too harsh, but if you've had as many friends as I have, killed by drunk drivers, or have known as many families as I, ripped apart because of this, you would also be a bit fired up about it. MAS, it wasn't obvious to me that Black951 was ashamed of what he did. By saying things like "Most of my near-death 944 experiences have been while drinking and driving and you would think that after two or three such encounters someone would learn a lesson. But no." I take that as he was embarrassed that it happened, and yes it sucks that he has to buy a new rim, but not that he was ashamed. If I didn't want to talk about it, I wouldn't have posted a reply. I wanted to press my point that there are many of us out there who don't even drink, let alone drive drunk, yet have to pay the price when someone else does. Recovering alcoholic, that's great! If you've driven drunk it doesn't change the fact that you're an idiot in my book. But that's just me.
Old 09-04-2001, 03:45 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Us youngins are the most responsible drivers out there? Pleeeeezeee. Dude, think back to high school. Think back to all the crash stories. I'm in high school right now, so all this stuff is vividly in my memory (and will restart tomorow along with school ). Take a look at the stats...teens and people in their early 20's crash more than people in their 30's and 40's.

Jason: You've been driving since you were 15? Legally? Where do you live? Montana? Wyoming?
I've been holding the wheel going up my steep twisty driveway since I was like 10, driving up my road (me fully driving) since I was 14 or 15. I've been driving for 7 years! lol...

Oh..and back to the drinking and driving thing...There's quite a few kids in my school that have done it...none have crashed while doing it..that I know of anyway. Teens/early 20's drivers are hardly more responsible.
Old 09-04-2001, 05:04 PM
JasonN
Advanced

Adrial,
I didnt meal all young people...ust that it is a shame that responsible young kids have to pay the price for others idiocy. Anyway, lets see. I have been driving since the day I turned 16 and I will be 24 in two weeks.
16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23...Thats 8 years...simple math.
Old 09-04-2001, 05:17 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Having lost a couple of friends to it (one driving drunk, one an "innocent bystander"), having a friend in a wheelchair for life (a passenger) because of it, and having seen families that I know victimized by it, there's no excuse for it. Period. Full stop.

If you could guarantee that you'd be the only one hurt, it'd be fine. Just evolution in action. It does not, unfortunately, work that way.

Driving is a priviledge, not a right.
Folks who can't cope with the responsibilities that go with it should not be allowed to endanger the rest of us. The basic responsibility here, corny as it sounds, is "Just say no."

Jim
Old 09-04-2001, 06:09 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry Jason. I did 23-8=15
Old 09-04-2001, 06:25 PM
Black_951
Instructor

I am surprised by the interest this thread has started. The reasons for writing on this topic are two-fold.

One, I was ashamed that I succumbed to this type of activity AGAIN and had to tell someone. Unfortunately, I can not tell admit to anyone locally due to my career. Believe it or not, I work in law enforcement and have actually arrested people (recently) for DWIs. If it got back to my Lt. I would be in alcohol classes for the next eight weeks.

For those who ask, but what if you would have been pulled over? A DWI for sure and your reputation would be ruined. Well, no. Part of my problem is I know how to handle other officers. The police force is a brotherhood and it is rare for one to ticket another. ESPECIALLY lower grade privates or corporels. And thats mostly whats working at 3am. If I had been stopped he probably would have just followed me home. Even when an accident is involved with a drunk officer it can be covered up. Is it fair? No. Does it happen? Yes. In the unlikely event that I ran into a captain who wanted to make a point then I know the Louisiana DWI law well enough to understand my rights and REFUSE any field sobriety or breathtests.

Anyway, now that you know more about me..

Reason two for the discussion is so that hopefully these younger drivers on here will see what stupid things can easily happen with just a little bit of alcohol. I may not have hurt anyone else, but I still ruined a $1000 rim, a $200 tire, and now I need a $250 alignment. Hell, a DWI would have been cheaper.

Really, the worse part is that I do know better and that I have had MORE than enough chances and closecalls already. Almost weekly I am on the scene of an alcohol related fatality in this area. Its very common. The real victims are the families and the survivors who have to deal with a loss or life-long injury.

Do I have an alcohol problem? I don't think so. I drink two nights a month. Will I drink and drive again? I don't know. But I think writing about it and sharing experiences is a step in the right direction.

Lastly, I did actually encounter an officer that night. He was working detail at an all-night restaurant and I had a brief conversation with him. I jokingly invited him to a high-speed pursuit. He declined and watched me get into my car and leave.
Old 09-04-2001, 06:51 PM
Schneider
Advanced

I have to respond. I'm really spun up now. Let's see, you brag about drinking and driving, you've destroyed 2 Porsches already and trying to trash a third, you write poems on this site about getting home safe one more night after drinking yourelf silly, AND YOU'RE A COP. How did you destroy your other cars anyway? Were you drunk? And you have the guts to say you don't have a drinking problem? Get a clue!!! You need help! Real help.

You give REAL cops the horrible reputation they have. I have law enforcment friends (Highway patrol and city police)who would gladly arrest you and lock you up. You're lucky someone in Louisiana doesn't do some very simple investigative work and put you behind bars. We would all be better off. Trust me, speaking from experience, it is not hard to prosecute based on confessions made via electronic means.

Flame all you want! But one thing is clear. This site is here to promote Porsche's and their owners. I'm embarrassed to be associated with people like you!
Old 09-04-2001, 07:25 PM
Black_951
Instructor

Just to be clear, I have actually destroyed three Porsches and am working on a fourth. Two 951's and a 944. ALL of the accidents were deemed someone elses fault and settled. I was not drinking in any of the instances.

The alcohol related close calls were just that. Close calls. The rim above is actually the first damage I have done to any car while intoxicated.

Again, Lieutenants, Captains, and maybe a Sargeant would probably try to make an example out of me. Louisiana law is suspension of drivers license for 180 days with refusal of field sobriety test or breath test.

What REALLY happens with refusals in Louisiana? I would be taken to jail (maybe) and held until someone came to pick me up. If I lived nearby the officer would probably just take me home. I would be given a temporary drivers license that is good until my first court appearance (usually 60 days later). Assuming the officer shows up he would need to testify on the probable cause that existed for him to even ask me to submit to a field sobriety test. Simply sitting in the car and not saying a word is not probable cause. I do have the right to remain silent. Maybe I was not feeling well and was on the verge of unconsciousness. I mean, that's why I was driving irratically to begin with. I did not even understand what the officer was telling me.

Worst case in refusals is you lose your license for 180 days. Your insurance is unaffected. Far better than beginning a string of DWI's on your record. Best case is the officer will see its not worth the trouble and just make sure you get home and off the street.

Be sure to check your local laws. In some states refusal alone is enough evidence to charge you with a DWI. Also, if you get out of the car stumbling around and running your mouth smelling like a bottle of Absolute then you will get a DWI whether you submit or not.
Old 09-04-2001, 07:31 PM
txhedg
Racer

Question

Originally posted by Schneider:
<STRONG>I have law enforcment friends (Highway patrol and city police)who would gladly arrest you and lock you up. You're lucky someone in Louisiana doesn't do some very simple investigative work and put you behind bars</STRONG>
You have obviously never been to Louisiana.....as an officer in LA, the chances of Black951 ever getting busted by one of his own is slim to none....they are strong proponents of the blood is thicker than water credo, and thru their badge they are all blood relatives. In many ways, that is a good thing......other times, a bit less so.

I wish I could say all cops were NOT like Blk951, but honestly, of my cop aquaintences, its about 50/50. Funny, the ones with the, ehem, exuberance, of Black951 are all good guys, but do some really stupid sh~t, ala Black951. The ones who are not wild-**** cowboys are mostly uptight, **** losers who were beat up as kids and now try to use the power of the badge as a way to give a payback to those in society they for their insecurities.

ok, I'll get off my soapbox.
Old 09-04-2001, 10:38 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
This is ridiculous!! I have to respond.

The ones who are not wild-**** cowboys are mostly uptight, **** losers who were beat up as kids and now try to use the power of the badge as a way to give a payback to those in society they for their insecurities.
That's about the stupidest load of crap I have ever heard. Can you say OVER-GENERALIZATION??

Seems to me (correct me if I'm wrong) Black951 you are almost bragging about how you got away with it, or how you would be able to get away with it if you were to get pulled over, put in jail, etc. You say your goal was to be an example to let us "younger" fellas on here know what can happen (note: I've drank twice sine turning 21 last year, never get drunk), but it seems to me we are the ones reminding you how stupid what you did was. And if you are trying to do just that (show us what NOT to do to our 944's), explaining how to get out of it if you are caught or if you are a cop and have friends in LA is the OPPOSITE of help.

I come from a law enforcement family, on both sides of the spectrum: military and gov't. FBI, Cops, etc., and not one of them is a "wild-****" and not one was beat up in school. I myself wanted to be in law enforcement (and to some extent I will be) and I have never even been in a fight. Don't be dumb.

Set the freakin' example as a police officer and do what's right for crying outloud - INTEGRITY!! My gosh I can't believe we are talking about this - this is utterly amazing.

-Matt
Pissed.
Old 09-04-2001, 11:13 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Exclamation

I am going to try this 1 more time. I have written 2 huge posts, but have not been successful on posting them.

If you are easily offended, please, skip this post.

Black951, there was a time I felt bad for you. I wanted to give you what you wanted from your post. The obligtory... "Man, that sucks about your rim.. I know someone who can fix it for $50."

Too bad that you did what every other crooked cop does when they **** up. You bent over, unzipped your pants, and gave yourself the "I AM ABOVE THE LAW" *******. Your excuse is pathetic, and a discrace to this public forum. Please, for the sake of the people in your community, turn in your badge and gun and move on to another career. You obviously do not respect your job or your life.

No.. I am not an outstanding citizen. I smoke dope, I munch some shrooms, I drink a beer when I want, I speed, I accelerate excessivly, and I play my music loud. All of that could land me in jail. The diffrence between me and you, I know how to keep drugs it out of socitey and my car, and keep it in my living room.

I am bothered by the sheer fact that you really don't care. "I might drink and drive again.. my frat buddy cop friends will bail me out." What a waste to the oath you took. You have no respect for life, career, and society.

Take a second here and think about what I have to say. Let it sink in real deep. You say that you have seen many a DUI accdient.
You either are the anitchrist or you have no brain. I have been a firefighter for 6 years now, and have seen 1 too many DUI fatalities. My 1st was the worst. A beautiful 24 year old girl decided to drink and drive, she and 3 others payed with their lives. All I could think of is the hurt and suffering of all the people who knew them. Then, I got to wash thier splattered remains off the highway, remove 1 passinger's torso from the end of the guard rail that sliced her in two, and load what bits and peices of flesh we could scoop up into plastic bags for cremation.

Death like that leaves an impact. I think of that every time I drink, even if I am sitting on my couch with no where to go.

Yet you can shrug it off and pay this "OH DARN, SMACKED UP MY RIM" bull****?

If that were me in the parking lot, drunk, doing burnouts, you'd hit lights and siren, cuffs in hand, and drag my *** to jail, perhaos after a beatdown, with a fist full of tickes for everything from DUI to excessive acceleration and noise violations. You would go above the call of duty to nail my nuts to the court room floor. You know it, I know it, we all know your kind.

By no means am I saying that since you have a badge you must be an angel. Drink, do drugs, wear womens clothes, screw an animal.. I don't care, but don't bring it into society. I'm not walking out my front door, with my lit joint in hand, to sit in a park and smoke it cuz it's a nice night. Nope, I repsect the law and the people in my life, strangers or not. You should too, and have some self worth for crying out loud!

And finally, before you **** up another quality automobile, give it to me. I know 2 or 3 underprivelaged kids that would love to part it out for me for a crisp $100 bill. Perhaps a good pair of walking shoes might straighten your life out.

After that, we can talk cars.

Quick Reply: How NOT to Drive Your 944