Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 06:26 PM
Ryan Z.
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question K&N

I was wondering...is the drop-in K&N air filter for our cars worth 40 odd dollars it takes to buy one?....in your opinion/experience. I remember some saying the engine sound is better, is that realisticaly the only benefit? Any info. appreciated.

Ryan Z.
Old 11-01-2001, 06:38 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think you will get much sound change unless you go with a cone hanging off the end.

And if you go with the stock insert be careful cleaning it .... I don't know how that bugger can suck up so much gravel. probably been cheaper in the long run for me but you do have to clean them frequently.
Old 11-01-2001, 06:43 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was VERY suprised how big an improvement it made. I can't explain it, but it made a noticable improvement, much more than I expected. The only theory I have come up with;...my chip was a disappointment, NO change when it was installed, maybe it needed more air, and the K&N allowed it to do its thing. The stock filter it replaced was almost new (read; NOT dirty).
Old 11-01-2001, 07:50 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dave,

Just out of interest -- which chip did you buy?

-Mark 86 944 NA
Old 11-01-2001, 09:47 PM
Untier
Racer

the kn will make a huge difference compared to a plugged/dirty oem filter. most dont replace a new oem till its quite dirty. buy a new oem and a kn and then compare?
Old 11-01-2001, 10:02 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the chip a year or two ago on ebay. The seller turned out to be Europroducts. As I stated above, after installing the chip on an otherwise stock '86 I noticed little or no difference (except I don't have the nerve to find out where the rev-limit is now, and I've checked up to 7200). After the K&N I felt a big improvement. The filter it replaced was OEM, with only a few hundred miles on it (not even pollen season).
I understand that the cone filter flows even better, but I have to wonder about the wisdom of getting your intake air from right behind the radiator.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:38 PM
Untier
Racer

i mounted mine under the front nose panel but doesnt the stock 944 use a tube to the fender?
Old 11-01-2001, 10:45 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Yes it does use a tube to the fender area. It's not really the wheel well, a plastic shield seperates the spaces .... for all the good that does since quite a bit of sand and other crud finds its way into the filter. You really need to clean/change it every 3000 miles.
Old 11-01-2001, 11:51 PM
Jon Hanson
Instructor

I've been looking into picking up a K&N Air Filter myself. Does it come with everything you need to install? Looking in Paragon Products, all I see is the filter, no mounting hardware.
Old 11-02-2001, 12:30 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

K&N makes one that fits into the stock airbox. If you are going free standing cone then you need some extra fittings.

I would say forget a cone unless you are forced by getting rid of the barndoor MAF.
Old 11-02-2001, 08:31 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm running the version that sits in the stock airbox. When I changed the stock filter out, it was clean.... the main difference I noticed was a smoother idle and the car leaves the line at low rpm takeoffs more easily. More driveable.

Thaddeus
Old 11-02-2001, 02:47 PM
Dano_944
Instructor

For those of you interested: I had a noticeable improvement in my '87 N/A after installing the K&N. 10% overall improvement in gas mileage, excelleration, smoother idle, runs cooler, etc., etc., etc.

I've heard the cone types tend to suck hot air from the engine compartment, which can aggrevate the ambient air temp sensor in the MAF and possibly cause overall hot conditions in the firing chamber. It's been recommended by a couple of speed shops in my area (SoCal) to keep with the external air input type air cleaner box (OEM) with the square K&N filter eliment. That's what I did, with somewhat dramatic results.

I'm going to experiment with a combination OEM air intake system with perforations in the box above the filter unit for slightly increased air flow mixed with external air intake flow. Should be an interesting experiment.

ps - Regarding chip technology for N/A 944's, a waste of $200, and potential failure for your DME. On the Turbo's..... Blown head gasket and stud problems from increased head pressure. Gee, sound good? NOT!!
Old 11-02-2001, 05:09 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Dano_944:
<STRONG>ps - Regarding chip technology for N/A 944's, a waste of $200, and potential failure for your DME. On the Turbo's..... Blown head gasket and stud problems from increased head pressure. Gee, sound good? NOT!!</STRONG>
Dano,

What chip for the NA did you buy, and do you really think it may have caused a DME failure?

-Mark 86 944 NA
Old 11-02-2001, 05:25 PM
Ryan Z.
Intermediate

Question

would I be able to pick up a K&N drop in that would fit at my local auto-zone....i remember seeing a large number of them stacked up.....if so, does anyone know the proper dimensions? or would it just say the application on the box? .....i guess I'm impatient and would rather just go and buy it now rather than wait and pay for shipping. Thanks agian.

Ryan Z.
Old 11-02-2001, 05:44 PM
TP-944
Intermediate

Mark,

I don't know about other chips, but I installed an Autothority chip in my '86 NA 3 years ago, 32,000 miles, and haven't had any problems.

I like the car better with the chip, better response, feel, etc. You will hear a lot of debate on the subjuct, but personally I think it was money well spent.

Ryan,

Back to the original topic, I too have a K&N filter. Not the cone, but the OE replacement. (I subscribe to the theory that a cone is drawing "hotter" air than the snorkel in the fender.) I like it, makes the car smoother, feels like it breathes better. Again, money well spent.

If you're having trouble deciding to by the filter or not, or the chip or not, relate it to this: You can buy a premium beer for a higher price than a regular beer. If you don't care about the difference, don't waste your money on the higher priced one. But there is a difference, it's just weather you think it's worth the money.

Waiter! I'll have a cold one, and make it a Michelob.

Quick Reply: K&N