Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2001, 05:53 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ps - Regarding chip technology for N/A 944's, a waste of $200, and potential failure for your DME. On the Turbo's..... Blown head gasket and stud problems from increased head pressure. Gee, sound good? NOT!!
Interesting logic and it lumps a minority case into a sweeping generalization. That's like saying, "Regarding oil-changes for N/A 944's, waste of $50, and potential failure for your engine...."

Sure, there will be a small group of people who change their oil and put in dubious generic dino oil and they will have engine problems, but what are the exact numbers?

Same thing with chip upgrades, there will be a small minority that mess up the installation or they got the wrong chips for their car. However, chip-upgrades will provide a more noticeable difference in your NA car than the K&N filter.

On the Turbo now, it's pretty much impossible to fine a Turbo WITHOUT a chip upgrade. That's the very first thing any owner would do, because it provides the most bang-for-the-buck value. Where else can you get a 30hp increase for less than $200. And I don't think reliability factor is at issue here simply because if it was, there wouldn't be ANY 944 Turbos left on the road. Much less 400+ HP ones running around as daily drivers.
Old 11-03-2001, 09:35 AM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For what its worth, the following turned out to be a very good combination for me:

K&N filter
Chip
Crane Cams Ignition & Coil (MSDS would work as well)
8 mm plug wires

I did all of theses pretty much at the same time, so I am not sure of the individual differences.

At last my DE event my instructor, who also has an S2, commented several times that my car felt like it accelerated faster than his. He kept watching my speedo as we entered straights. (his car had no engine mods but he had a full roll cage, 800 lb. springs, Koni adjustables, etc.)

Quick Reply: K&N