Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK another one for ya

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001 | 02:46 PM
Dannyp
6th Gear

Post OK another one for ya

Also, what would you do if you had this 944.
I have a 84 944 European version. It basically needs
> to be rebuilt from
> the ground up. The inside of the car, door panels,
> carpet, dash, console
> are wasted. The body is in pretty good shape no
> dents anyways. The car
> does run and pretty well even with aleast one oil
> leak. I would like it
> to be like new I mean everything. I hate to say this
> , but I paid prob.
> $1500 too much for the car. I am hoping you can give
> me some rough est
> of what this will cost. Also I am not sure if this
> worth doing. the car
> needs alot to be nice and right.
> Would you go ahead with it or take your losses and
> start looking for a
> better 944 or 944T. I would have to have all this
> done at shop that does
> kind thing.
>
> Thanks for any help Danny
Old 11-01-2001 | 03:37 PM
Minh Pho
Advanced

If you ask me, don't waste you money. I just got my engine rebuilt to the tune of $10,000 including machine work. I'll be luck if I can take ONLY a $5,000 loss selling it.

Minh

951 with brand new engine for sale
Old 11-01-2001 | 03:43 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

You're already in the hole for $1500. The bottomline is if you're keeping the car more or less forever(at least long term) then spend whatever you can afford on it that makes it pleasureable for you to own it. If spending another $3 to $5K on it will pain you more than the pleasure you'll derive from it, then sell it, take your losses and buy whatever pleases you. Knowing my self, I'd probably look for a wrecked 944 with good interior, etc. and cannibalize it for everything I could get. A totaled car for (guessing) $1000? Put them side by side in your driveway and start swapping parts. Restore, clean, paint, replace stuff as you go. The "seed" car and a decent paint job is what's going to cost you. On the other hand, if you sell I'd buy as good a 951 as I could possibly afford. One with the best maintenance records available. I'm totally **** about my cars but a 12 to 16 year old car that has been CONSISTENTLY babied (remember, these were always nice cars) may have been properly waxed and garaged and you might find one with still good to excellent appearence. If not, you'll paint it anyway, but get the assurance it has been maintained mechanically. GOod luck. We've all been to the School of Regretted Auto Purchases. It's how you learn if you're a true car guy!
Old 11-01-2001 | 03:47 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Minh, Just curious...why sell it? Why not max out the paint/interior? It's a Turbo right?... so this is potentially a long term keeper. I wish it were so for the N/A's but I think the 951's will eventually be collector's items. I never thought anyone would EVER give a damn about 914's and now their prices are slowly coming up. Any trueL car guy tips his hat to a well done car - even if it's something he'd never want for himself. At least, that's how I feel.
Old 11-01-2001 | 04:10 PM
Minh Pho
Advanced

Dan, FYI my car is far from stock. So I doubt it would become a collectors car. As far as selling it, I've noticed that since I got it, it seems like it's always I want, I want. I want a bigger turbo, I want a better wastegate, I want stand alone engine management. I think you get the point. I figure, I'd sell it before I get too crazy. I've actually been thinking I may just keep it though (my losses from selling would be too great, so might as well have some fun)

Minh

Quick Reply: OK another one for ya