Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck in 2D...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 08:10 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Post Stuck in 2D...

Ever since I started flying lessons driving is a bore. The airport is about 25 mins away, down backroads (Jax, NC), so today I drove the 944 instead of the Acura to make the trip a little more fun.

But it's weird - driving just isn't all that anymore. I hope that feeling goes away. Don't get me wrong, I haven't divorced my car, but I just want so much to pull back on the stick and lift off...

Any other pilots out there? Go through this phase? Geeze if this happens after flying a Cessna 152, know wonder my dad doesn't care much about sports cars after flying fighter jets... He had 2 Firebirds and a Porsche in his "younger" days, but now he drives a Chrystler. What gives? Although he did say next year he was going to get a 968...

Bummer. I need to do a DEd, maybe bring the excitement back.
Old 10-31-2001, 08:51 PM
Devildog2067
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Flying is a lot more work than driving--it requires a lot of prep, weather briefings, flight plan (I always file even if I'm VFR, good habit to get into), preflight inspection, runup, you have to call the FBO and reserve the plane, arrange fueling if you're going to another airport, etc. Once the novelty part wears off, you'll start feeling the work part more and more. Shorter flights won't seem worth the hassle; even when you just want to go up and play you'll want to stay up an hour or two at a time.

You can always hop into your car and go for a 20-minute drive, all you gotta be is sober and current on routine maintenance.

I guess what I'm saying is, once the novelty wears off, the different advantages of driving and flying will become apparent to you.

--
Semper Fi
LCpl SH Won
Wpns Co, 2nd Bn, 24th Marines
Old 10-31-2001, 09:24 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Devildog,

Oo-rah!

24th Marines - is that the same as the 24 MEU?

Let me know, I'm here in Jax, NC (I go to CCCC) and see the occassional 944 drive by (I think there are 3 in town besides mine), so maybe you are one of them...?

-Matt
Old 10-31-2001, 09:53 PM
John.
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got 1/2 way to a private license, when I stopped for family and financial reasons. I look at it this way......I can buy a VERY fast car for a fraction of a moderately fast plane. Like 911 Turbo=Cessna 172 I always thought I would want a Velocity 173, or a Lancair......both of which are experimantal and possibly very dangerous. I nearly parted with my 944 to justify the expense of the lessons.....but I'm glad I didn't. I may pick it up again someday, but I figured it was useless unless I purchased a plane and became IFR certified. Who wants to get stuck in another city because of bad weather!?

Quick Reply: Stuck in 2D...