Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry a little bit OT - Magnum

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 12:18 PM
adrian jaye
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Sorry a little bit OT - Magnum

Posted here, 'cos no one seems to go to the General Forum...anyway...Magnum

NO not the Ice cream (ooops you propably don't get that in the US), the P.I (o

<quick Adrian--make it car orientated>

The 308 to be precise, damn I'm starting to get a bad hankering to buy this baby...When I've done my decorating sold my house and moved into a nicer area with a garage and decent security...

Also, a Pontiac kit was made like a 308, Fiero or Meara, or somthing, do they compare at all...

The thing is...ok the OT bit

There was a Hip-Hop tune which utilised the first few bar's of the Magnum tune.. Anyone remeber what the track was called

cheers

OT as usual
Adrian (P.I) Jaye
Old 10-31-2001, 12:42 PM
Cobbs
Instructor

IMHO
Kit cars that "copy" another car are weak. If your going with the whole Magnum P.I. Motif get the real thing. Obviously there are better performance options for the money but that doesnt sound like what your looking for here anyway.

But weren't you just talking about how people get their car (944NA)and then try to modify them(supercharger, turbochargers, etc)? To me its the same thing as a kit car. If you want a Ferrari buy a Ferrari not a Fiero-arri.

Old 10-31-2001, 01:05 PM
adrian jaye
Instructor

Hey Cobb's,

Thankxs for the reply..

Originally posted by Cobbs:
IMHO
Kit cars that "copy" another car are weak. If your going with the whole Magnum P.I. Motif get the real thing. Obviously there are better performance options for the money but that doesnt sound like what your looking for here anyway.

But weren't you just talking about how people get their car (944NA)and then try to modify them(supercharger, turbochargers, etc)? To me its the same thing as a kit car. If you want a Ferrari buy a Ferrari not a Fiero-arri.

Why do I also get misquoted on this.

I orginally said in "that" post that with the exception of certain cars "...& Ferrari's..." which were out of most ppl's price range.

Now I don't know too much about this Pontiac car, Fiero or whatever it was, except it was only a short production run and was rolled off the line as a look alike 308. So in essence I never modified it was already built like that, badged as a Pontiac but with the look of a 308.

As we don't have any Pontiacs over here and I only saw a small write up, I was wondering if anyone had any experience.

I agree it is a "copy" or rather a look-a like of a 308 though badged as a Pontiac Feiro/mera whatever.

If I can get the extra money together and the insurance don't kill me, I'd prefer to get a 308.

So my p.o.v has'nt changed from my orginal post.

Though I only put that in as a diversion , I'm really after the hip-hop tune info !

thankxs for the reply
Old 10-31-2001, 01:19 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Adrian,

The Fiero never "rolled off the assembly line" looking like a 308. For some reason, they have just been a popular platform for the rash(or should I say cancer) of Ferrari-look kits. Although, I do agree with you on the lines of the REAL 308--elegant and classic.
Mera sold 308-bodied Fiero's for a short time, although the driveline, etc. were all Fiero, which means they were essentialy junk.
Mera was just a "kit-car" company along the lines of Tojan--remember those Firebird-based POS?--they just took a Fiero, re-bodied it, and sold them.
Can't help you on the tune though.

Eric
Old 10-31-2001, 01:33 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts
When the Fiero was introduced in '83 Pontiac was showing off the new plastic body that didn't dent (just like the Saturn), and the fact that the panels could be removed easily with simple tools (just like the Saturn).

Pontiac said a body style change could be done very easily. In fact, at the '83 Pontiac Oakland Club Int'ls convention in Buffalo NY the fourth Fiero made was there along with one that had no body panels on it. The car didn't need a body to run since the frame simply held the parts on.

In about '86 Pontiac got the spontaneous combustion problem fixed, and made the care handle a lot better. Thay offered the "fastback" coupe which had the lines of the 308. Thats where the kit came in. It was an easy bolt on job, and the car cost about the same as a new supra.

The car also was able to keep up with the competition when it was shelved - or at least the magazines at the time said it could. Typical GM to kill the car as soon as they get rid of the bugs.
Old 10-31-2001, 01:36 PM
adrian jaye
Instructor

thanks all..

all info appreciated

POS ?????????

now any help with the tune ????

peace
Old 10-31-2001, 02:28 PM
rplencne
Instructor

IIRC, the "better" Fiero kits were NOT simple bolt-ons, and required that the car be cut in half and made longer. Otherwise, you get a short/dumpy looking Ferrari, Lambo, etc.

-Bob P.
Old 10-31-2001, 02:35 PM
Firestarter
Advanced

I think the confusion on the Mera's is that they were sold through Pontiac dealers...

...To all of those who are expressing their distaste for Fierri's it is important to note that the real 308's 0-60 acceleration figures are very near those of the V-6 Fiero.

Firestarter
-how do you think I got my name?
Old 10-31-2001, 02:38 PM
txhedg
Racer

Please, please, please, lets not sully this board with discussions of Fiero conversion kits. For under $30k it seems you can get a nice 308..........Don't do the kit thing!!!!!

Next thing you know we'll be talking about something stupid like dropping a Chevy V8 into a 944
Old 10-31-2001, 03:38 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts
When I sat in a 308 I was surprised how little leg room there was in the car. My 944 is much more comfortable, therefore I will keep my 944.

Not to mention the fact that I can't afford the parts to tune up a 308, or anything from Modena!
Old 10-31-2001, 04:40 PM
txhedg
Racer

Arrow

My helmet bangs against the roof openings as well.

leg room seemed ok, though
Old 10-31-2001, 05:33 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ever notice that whenenver Magnum was driving the car, the top was OFF?
Old 10-31-2001, 08:45 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As we don't have any Pontiacs over here and I only saw a small write up, I was wondering if anyone had any experience
Think TR7...only the Triumph was a nice little sports car in its day. If it's a small, 2 seat, mid-engine your after, go with a 914.

Sorry...no hiphop answer here.
Old 10-31-2001, 10:01 PM
John.
User

Personally I would not buy a 308 Ferrari. They require tons of maintenance, are not that fast, and break often. Stay away from kit copies....if you want a nice kit car, look at a Vintage 550 Porsche Spyder. For the money, you will do a lot better with an early 911 (SC or newer), or a 944 turbo, all of which will rip a stock 308 up with no problem at all. If you really want that cool Italian look, check out the 1986 Lambo Jalpa.....they can be had for a decent price and offer pretty good performance, not to mention looking cool. They are rare, but have not seemed to have held their value. When I get serious about a Ferrari, it will be a 348.......these cars are leaps and bounds above the 308/328 series cars. Now if you can find a Fiberglass 308 (these are very rare), you'd be doing alright!
Old 11-01-2001, 05:47 AM
adrian jaye
Instructor

Originally posted by txhedg:
Next thing you know we'll be talking about something stupid like dropping a Chevy V8 into a 944
THUMP !

ROFL

Quick Reply: Sorry a little bit OT - Magnum