Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extreme weather in SF Bay Area!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 02:32 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Extreme weather in SF Bay Area!

It rained today in Sunnyvale, CA, which represents extreme weather for the area.

But I am very happy, because, as some of you may recall, the excuse for my recent $300 MSD 6a ignition upgrade with new plug wires, cap and rotor was to fix a wet weather problem I'd been having. In particular, a couple of times where it had rained briefly overnight led to all sorts of classic wet-under-the-hood type behavior (mostly only having three cylinders firing unless the revs were kept way up -- no fun on a daily commute.)

Anyway, I figured the old plug wires were probably shot, absorbing water and arcing all over the place until I'd done enough driving for the heat of the engine bay to dry them out. And this was happening just if it rained overnight -- it wasn't even raining when I was driving the next day!

So today there was real rain. The big test. I said to my wife on the way out the door "I'm going out now, and I may be a very short time." The prospect of having to take the Honda Accord to get to work because my $300 expenditure had failed to fix my basic problem represented a potentially crushing blow to my prestige and credibility (I could recall clearly my good wife's arched eyebrow as I was attempting to explain why I needed to spend $300 to fix a car's wet weather problems.) There was no margin for error, no second chances. Brilliant success, or total defeat.

Well, it was perfect. I felt like Gene Kelly. And I got the double satisfaction and pleasure of enjoying the improved MSD 6a performance all the way to work. Best commute I've had in a long time.

Sometimes, things actually just work out well. Almost makes up for all the other times.

-Mark 86 944 NA (Just singin', just singin' in the rain...)
Old 10-31-2001, 01:59 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Congratulations!!

I have an after market ignition and it has made a big difference in my low-end drivability. It is a good investment in my book.

I know just how you feel about needing to show the wife that you were right about "investing" in your car. I am shooting about 50/50 right now.

The brand new 968 rear hatch glass that I got for a "bargain" ($200 + $300 in shipping) and that has been sitting in the basement for about a year while I wait for a "bargain" on a 968 rear wing has been hard to live down. So was my adventure with the Air/Fuel meter. So was my purchase of a dash that needs to be recovered.

However, the new injectors, chip, Crane Ignition, Plug wires, rotors, stainless steel brake lines and rebuilt A-arms have all lived up to the expectations I touted to my wife. Whew, at least I still have some credibility.

Quick Reply: Extreme weather in SF Bay Area!