Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper Strut Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 09:56 PM
Cobbs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Upper Strut Bearing

Is there a way to check its condition without dissasembling the strut? I want to make sure I get this right before I spring the big bucks to get the alignment set. I suppose I could dissasemble the strut and inspect but I feel like a dummy cause I just paid someone to install new coils on them and put all the old stuff back in (strut inserts have only 3k miles). Well, the only "special tool" I would need is a spring compressor right? How do I keep the strut from turning when I reinstall the lock nut on top? there is a flat spot on the threads but it looks too small to put a fatty wrench in there. When will I get this right? Will I ever get a wheel alignment? Why is the sky blue?

Old 10-31-2001, 09:02 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a way to check its condition without dissasembling the strut?
Not really.
Indicative only: lift the car so the pressure is off fron the bearing and try to feel for the play while pushing the strut around.
..."special tool" I would need is a spring compressor right?
Yes, and make it a good one.
Saw a guy loosing some fingers once because he was stubborn enough to try with one of the "cheap & nasty" things.
How do I keep the strut from turning when I reinstall the
There is either a machined parallel for an realy thin open end spanner or an internal hex in the shock absorber piston rod.
When will I get this right?
Yes
Will I ever get a wheel alignment?
Yea, it might take a while though
Why is the sky blue?
Not here, not today..

Quick Reply: Upper Strut Bearing