Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump pinion protusion from oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001, 09:44 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Oil pump pinion protusion from oil pump

Hey guys. I have the oilpan off, just changed the rod bearings (#2 didn't look too good compared to all the other bearings). I removed the oil pump. Upon replacing it, I noticed that the oil pump pinion seems to be sticking out from the oil seal about 1 mm. Is this normal or should the pinion be flush with oil pump/front main seal? I imagine that the oil pump pinion is bottomed at the stepped portion of the crank, but I would rather ask than disassemble.

BTW, don't worry... the belt covers are coming back on before the car gets on the road.

-Steve
1986 951 107k
Old 10-29-2001, 10:23 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Not sure if this is normal or not, but I have to ask, Is the picture with the crank bolt properly torqued down to 155 ft-lbs??? If not, might account for the protrusion since the pinion is driven br friction with the crank pulley. I replaced my front seals this summer but I do not remember the orientation being flush or protruding.

HTH
Old 10-29-2001, 11:21 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Riff:
<STRONG>Not sure if this is normal or not, but I have to ask, Is the picture with the crank bolt properly torqued down to 155 ft-lbs??? If not, might account for the protrusion since the pinion is driven br friction with the crank pulley. I replaced my front seals this summer but I do not remember the orientation being flush or protruding.

HTH</STRONG>
It's torqued to 75 ft-lbs. Due to the order of my work, I re-assembled it so that I could crank over the engine by hand and also gauge if oil pump pinion was installed correctly. I figured 75 ft-lbs would be sufficient to seat the pinion in the pump. When I assembled the pump and the pinion on the work bench, it did not protrude.

-Steve
Old 10-30-2001, 12:50 AM
instigator
Racer

that looks about right. the pump drive gear actually bottoms out on the crank. so if you had the pump off that would explain how it sank deeper into the pump

Quick Reply: Oil pump pinion protusion from oil pump