Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken KEVLAR timing belt.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 12:01 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 16valver
When I got done with my T-belt replace, we went to start it and got the same deal, turning over but wouldn't catch. Turned out the AFM wasn't plugged in. Doubt thats you're issue but its usually something stupid when you've been super thorough about all the complex stuff and its late at night etc... Good luck!!
Yeah I am thinking when we simply pulled the intake out of the way and hung by the bungie we must have unplugged something. If I make it home tonight gonna take a deep breath and start double checking the simply stuff all over.

Maybe I am just not holding my mouth right when I go to start it.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:24 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Spark plug wires in correct order, correct? I also had forgotten to replace the AFM connector last year after doing some engine work. Car barely started and ran like crap.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:49 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You should check to make sure the cam key didn't sheer. If it did, the cam gear would still be held on by the bolt but it would be out of time to the cam.
The forces needed to rip that belt in half would have put enormous stress on the cam assembly with the weakest point being the cam key.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:09 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver
You should check to make sure the cam key didn't sheer. If it did, the cam gear would still be held on by the bolt but it would be out of time to the cam.
The forces needed to rip that belt in half would have put enormous stress on the cam assembly with the weakest point being the cam key.
Didnt get home till 30 minutes ago. Confirmed cam key still intact. Even though it is a 4* offset key. Salute to the 928 Motorsport guys for making a good product.

Will try other suggestions tomorrow night.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:06 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Ok guys after alot of other things popping up including a month long TDY to Fort Knox I learned I had a bad head gasket when replaced the head from broken timing belt. After waiting for new one to come in, finally had time to tear it apart and replace it.

Today I FINALLY got a chance to lay evering else aside and work on my car.

Got everything back together and double checked timing. Turned over by hand as expected.

At first no fire from coil.
Verified coil was good.
Checked DME relay.
Bypassed the security system via clarks jumpers.
Finally figured out the speed and reference sensor wires had a short in them.
Wiggled them around and got good spark.
Still no start.
Swapped in another DME (which included swapping in the AFM since the DME I was running had been modified for the N-Tune).
Still no start.

At this point I am venting as much as seeking advice.

Been months since I have enjoyed the car and getting real tired of driving the Mustang or F150 to work every day.

Gonna have something to eat, drinlk a Heineken, then work on other stuff around the shop while hopefully the Yodas of the forum tell me what I may be doing work.

Will order another set of speed and referance sensors, maybe they are connected well enough to give me fire but not well enough to start the car.

Could always be worse, could be back in Iraq.

Hope everyone is having a great day, opinions welcome.

Michael
Old 09-22-2013, 03:18 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by F40LM

Hope everyone is having a great day, opinions welcome.
my honest opinion:

these engines aren't that bad; but when the heads need to come off, THEY ARE THAT BAD.

breaking a belt might not be that terrible. in fact, it isn't.

If upon getting my car home (Norfolk/Foxboro, Mass) from the south coast of the Carolinas, i'd broken my timing belt, the up front costs would have been severe, but i'd have saved a boatload of money and been about 1/3 of the way to my first (V8) rebuild about now.

even more fun cuz you're in the south, and you don't have to put the car away for 3 months every wintah.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:24 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

LOL, thanks for the help Odur. Seriously though if I wasn't trying to get a house built I would thinking about that right now. It's the reason I haven't purchased another kevlar timing belt yet. Want to get her running for more than 5 min before I sink any more big $ into this engine. LS motors are super cheap in the south.

michael
Old 09-25-2013, 08:43 PM
miragezero
Instructor

Make sure you didn't put a chip in backwards... they don't like that. >.> <.<

Quick Reply: Broken KEVLAR timing belt.