Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit and run tonight, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 11:18 PM
fletch.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Hit and run tonight, what would you do?

I'll make the story short. I am in stop and go traffic and get rear ended by some BI**H. Then she takes off. Me in my race prepared Turbo, her in some riser junk. I follow her long enough to get the license number then call the CHP when I got home. 2 officers show up and explain my options. The damage was very minor to one of the rubber bumper guards, but because she bolted I was extremely agitated.

Problem was the cops were so into my car they ended up spending 30 minutes talking about it. They wanted all the details on how I built it. We hung out by my garage and BS’ed about Porsches and simply had a good time. I had totally lost interest in the accident by the time they left. Anyway, at the end we agreed not to have her arrested, but they would make a little trip over to her house for a friendly visit on my behalf.

Not sure if I should have done more, but the experience I have had with the CHP has not always been the best. These guys appeared to be genuinely interested in Porsches, and even mention how polite Porsche driver are in comparison to others when they get stopped.
Old 12-14-2001, 11:31 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As long as they give her a little scare, and she's paying for the damage,there's no real need to have her arrested.
Old 12-15-2001, 12:21 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
I'd stinkin' have her arrested. I'm hard core like that, but people who do that type of thing are scum. For all she knows someone could have been seriously hurt, and she still bolted. That's low. She deserves any scaring she gets, including a night in jail or whatever the punishment is. I wouldn't care if I was in my 944 or the Acura, you hit someone - YOU STOP to make sure everything is ok. You let THE PERSON decide if it's ok and not to worry about it.

Just my 25 cents. I'm a little pissed right now from a totally unrelated subject, but even if I was calm I'd have the cops scare he good.

Of course before this thread is done, I'll be labeled a "bigot", "hating", Pat Robertson wanna-be. Oh well...

-Matt
Old 12-15-2001, 12:47 AM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

I agree with Matt. If someone is able to "get away with" something like that, they'll do it again...Maybe it was a totally isplated incident or maybe she was under the influence....Which brings a long string to mind from a few months ago.....

Bob S.
Old 12-15-2001, 01:05 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Personally, I would press charges, but that is just me. I say it is your choice.
Old 12-15-2001, 01:32 AM
fletch.
Instructor

I was thinking the same as you were Matt. It was probably only 10MPH hit, but it was hard enough to move my car forward. She did not know if I had a baby in the passenger seat, nor did she know if I was injured. She bolted anyway. I was actually surprised at her brazen lack of human compassion. I pulled up next to her and she never looked over at me, I yelled “don’t make this a hit and run” and “pull over” but she was not going to have anything to do with me.

At the time I was thinking of what my wife would do. My wife hit someone about 5 years ago and the guy was verbally kicking her *** until I rolled up. We work together and I am usually 5 minutes behind her. He threatened to track down my 5 foot 4, 98 pound wife and kill her. She is Filipina and very dossal. I handed the guy a card with my home address on it and begged him to stop by so I could beat the hell out of him. He has yet to visit me.
Old 12-15-2001, 02:03 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Fletch, do what you think is the right thing to do. Just remember, what you do hear can affect what happens to someone else in the future. For instance, her learning her lesson now when no one was (luckily) hurt, may help later on down the road. Besides the fact you even gave her a chance to pull over!! Like she thought she was going to lose a 951... She's got another thing coming.

Also, can it be - Tabor and I agree on a semi-social, semi-moral issue? The stars must be aligned...

-Matt
Old 12-15-2001, 02:05 AM
Jon Hanson
Instructor

If you insist that the officer write a ticket for reckless driving, arrest the person, etc, it becomes the STATE'S responsibility to haul the person into court and prosecute them. If you don't, it becomes YOUR responsibility, and it's usually such a pain that unless there is substantial damage, it's not worth the time, money, or grief. Trust me...I know.
Old 12-15-2001, 02:09 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
If there were no damages, I would still have the CHP go get her and lock her up for the night, without charges.

A good scare and a night in jail is enough. God knows what else she has or will do. I have no respect or patience for that crap.

My roomate's wife backed into my drivers fender enough to dent it pretty good, and move the car about 6" (in gravel, very easy to see). This was in my own driveway. My friend noticed it as we were leaving, and we knew it was her.

I told her husband, and we agreed to see if she would say anything to me. A week past, nothing said. I finally brought it up, and she played dumb like it never happened. Too bad I had pictures and her husband saw it.

Come to find out, this was her 3rd hit and run.

Use your best judgement.
Old 12-15-2001, 02:17 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Perry,

Holding a suspect for an extended period of time without charging them is a dicey place for the Police to be in. I doubt they would do it.
Old 12-15-2001, 02:22 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Fletch,

Why didn't you have the man prosecuted for assault?

-Tabor
Old 12-15-2001, 03:10 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Way back when I was learning to drive I hit the back of a truck at a stop light. My car was a POS. It wouldn't idle, and the shift pattern floated around. Combined with the fact that I was learning to drive, I hand't gotten my three pedal technique down yet, and the road was down hill... I lunged forward at the light, nudged the truck and my car stalled. The truck I hit was a POS also, He looked back, shrugged and went on his way.
Old 12-15-2001, 03:57 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have her arrested for hit and run unless she had a damn good reason for not stopping. Like her passenger had a gunshot wound and she was speeding to the hospital.

Common sense for a hit is to stop and take a look at what the results were. She ran .... stick it to her. And the run is the key, not how much damage there ended up being. Next time she might smack a kid on a bike and take off.
Old 12-15-2001, 04:31 AM
Andrew
Instructor

Actually, the police can "hold you for a day (maybe two) without telling you why! And there is always probable cause. They can use that on anything. It sucks but is true. A friend was held for no reason. It happens. In this case they could hold her to it and then not press charges. I agree with many here, she deserves a good lesson! Charged or not.

-Andrew
Old 12-15-2001, 05:41 AM
Doc
Racer

Red face

Whoa man... sorry to hear that. Well on the bright side, at least it's not as bad as my car. But I must say, you know me and I'm a pretty mellow guy, but I'd be pissed! In fact, knowing you... I'm surprised you handled it so well.

For what it's worth, I don't know if I ever told you this, but back when my first Bimmer got hit, by GG Park, the BITCH hit me head on, my friend in the passenger seat smashed the windshield with his head and she still bolted.

At the time I thought the same as you. They did get her a few blocks away near Hiaght St. and asked if I wanted to press charges... The cops ribbed her and I thought that she MUST have realize what she did and learned from the incident. So I said screw it... I'll let it slide.

Well long story short. When I tried to collect from the insuracne company, I was told her insurence company refused to pay because she claimed it was MY fault.

OBVIOUSLY she DIDN'T learn. But by that time the cops wouldn't do anything about it. ...They said it was too late. I had to fight for almost 9 months to get the whole thing cleared and get my money.

I know you won't have too deal with collecting like I did, but it just shows... people like that don't learn. And as everyone else has said... "Next time" it could be much worse. I'd re-think it. ****! You think Kevin would let it slide?

Quick Reply: Hit and run tonight, what would you do?